"Mid bunk" fifth wheel models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
As we toy around planning a future fifth wheel purchase, I've decided that the "mid bunk" model (with a slide-out bedroom in the middle of the rig) is a floorplan that would fit our family well. Even when our younger 2 boys outgrow "camping with Mom and Dad" someday, our oldest son with special needs will probably always be with us. A larger living area is really what we'd like compared to our current TT. The mid bunk FW would still leave him (or them, depending on who comes along) their own sleeping space, without taking real estate away from the front bedroom or rear kitchen/living area. I've seen some RV Youtubers do other things with that room too, repurposing as a home office or the like... something that could also allow me to work remotely (and somewhat privately) while traveling.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has owned a model with this florrplan, and your experiences with it. I'll be buying used, likely from a private party if I can find one we like. I don't have a preference toward any year/make/model, but will take any information on which makes offer a midbunk option. I think it hit the market around 2015 or so? We're still at least 1-2 years out from this purchase, once we have the cash and the pandemic RV frenzy settles down. So no rush, but might as well start researching in case the perfect rig crosses our path. :)

Personally I think that would be the absolute worst floor plan. I have seen a lot of fivers with a rear bunk room that can be closed off easily. Some even have a half bath back there. A bunk room in the middle of the floor seems like it would chop an otherwise space down to two tiny spaces.

Personally I think that would be the absolute worst floor plan. I have seen a lot of fivers with a rear bunk room that can be closed off easily.

That's exactly what we have now in our current bunkhouse TT. It works great for having 3 kids with us, but that will be changing in the coming years. The downside of the rear bunk bedroom (with the front master bedroom on the other end) is it leaves less space for the living room and kitchen to be squeezed in the middle. The midbunk 5ers put the extra bedroom off to the side on its own slide, in a space you really don't miss otherwise (from the videos/photos I've seen) and really opens up the combined rear kitchen/living area.

I may not have really considered the mid bunk setup until I saw some walkthroughs, and then realized it looks pretty intuitive! Of course I'll want to see a few of them in person at some point, to really get the "feel" on my own. That's what made me decide against a toyhauler, which similar to the bunkhouses, have the kitchen/living really squished in the middle in favor of the garage/utility section.

Voltage Triton 4271 its a toy hauler so you can put gear in the back which also doubles as a bedroom dining room, mid bunks, 1/2 bath in the back. Great for families

You need a dually though. Im on my second Voltage. Triton is the same brand but more budget minded i really like my Voltage 2.0

Attachments

• 20210515_123022.jpg
    20210515_123022.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1
I've got the dually, not a fan of THs though. The garage is wasted for me, since I don't have big toys to take along... and would rather have all that space open (mid and rear), rather than split into separate garage + living/kitchen.

I've got the dually, not a fan of THs though. The garage is wasted for me, since I don't have big toys to take along... and would rather have all that space open (mid and rear), rather than split into separate garage + living/kitchen.
Thats the beauty of a toy hauler the garage is everything, part bedroom with 2 oversize beds, big dining table you can all sit around. Storage, patio, kids space, its a bit of everything. Sometimes we have bikes, sometimes quads sometimes just dogs, sometimes kids, sometimes a romantic diner for 2 or an office. 80% of toy haulers owners dont own toys - true its so versatile. And because toy haulers are built on I beams without a drop frame they are stronger. Check one out with an open mind. I ruled them out initially but then grew to.like the idea now i wont look at some foo foo trailer lol

Yep I'm aware of the versatility of the TH garage... and seeing a couple in person is what helped my wife and I decide we'd rather have a big open living/kitchen area, rather than the separate rooms of a TH or bunkhouse.

And this why they make so many different models to each their own.
Part of my liking a TH is our roads up here are so rough it can shake you apart lol. I hope you find what your looking for, there are some neat floor plans out there. I miss not being able to go to the RV show and look at stuff, and right now here the RV dealers are closed to foot traffic, everything is virtual until you make a deal, if you want to call full list price a deal omg

Thanks ziplock... that's mostly an affiliate site that wants you to click through and buy something (so they get a kick back), but it does show a good selection of 2021 models. I'm hoping to find something gently used in the 2016-2018 time frame, depending on price. I'll look up some of these models on NADA or RVtrader and see if they go back that far.

We are in the same situation as you, current bunkhouse tt owners looking at mid bunk 5ers. We really like the Montana High Country 385BR.
The only downfall I see is losing the huge outdoor kitchen without the bunk room, but some models (including the one above) at least give you some outdoor kitchen functionality.

Other than that they really do seem to check all of our needs and I haven’t seen too many downsides other than being limited to huge sites.

- all 3 seating areas you could want in living room (kitchen table, pullout sofa, plus recliners)
- lots of campside windows
- kids room plus a loft sleeping area to separate them if necessary
- plenty of kitchen storage and counter space
- king size bed
- large bedroom closet
- only one slide towards the rear on the campside so it doesn’t break up the camping area like some bunkhouses with large slides right on the middle of the campside plus awnings covering almost entire length

Looking to pick one up when demand starts to fade from the Covid rush somewhat

As we toy around planning a future fifth wheel purchase, I've decided that the "mid bunk" model (with a slide-out bedroom in the middle of the rig) is a floorplan that would fit our family well. Even when our younger 2 boys outgrow "camping with Mom and Dad" someday, our oldest son with special needs will probably always be with us. A larger living area is really what we'd like compared to our current TT. The mid bunk FW would still leave him (or them, depending on who comes along) their own sleeping space, without taking real estate away from the front bedroom or rear kitchen/living area. I've seen some RV Youtubers do other things with that room too, repurposing as a home office or the like... something that could also allow me to work remotely (and somewhat privately) while traveling.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has owned a model with this florrplan, and your experiences with it. I'll be buying used, likely from a private party if I can find one we like. I don't have a preference toward any year/make/model, but will take any information on which makes offer a midbunk option. I think it hit the market around 2015 or so? We're still at least 1-2 years out from this purchase, once we have the cash and the pandemic RV frenzy settles down. So no rush, but might as well start researching in case the perfect rig crosses our path. :)
-Scott,
We were looking at the Grand Design Reflection 5W; It has a wide upper mid bunk in a slideout, and below is a room that can be used as a bedroom, office, or (for me) a music room. Not sure about options in the different models, but this was a 367BHS (41 feet),

2-3 year thread refresh! ;)

Here I am again, a little behind my schedule originally posted but finally in the market for a mid bunk fifth wheel. I still think this floorplan will meet my family's needs best, compared to a rear bunkroom or toy hauler -- both of which seem to have much smaller middle living/kitchen spaces. Still no hurry on the purchase, and next year would be fine if I don't find something this year. Looking at late 2000-teens models in the low/mid $20k range, preferably 35-40' to be towed by my diesel dually 1-ton pickup.

If anyone reading has personal experience to share with a mid bunk setup, please share here anytime!

2-3 year thread refresh! ;)

Here I am again, a little behind my schedule originally posted but finally in the market for a mid bunk fifth wheel. I still think this floorplan will meet my family's needs best, compared to a rear bunkroom or toy hauler -- both of which seem to have much smaller middle living/kitchen spaces. Still no hurry on the purchase, and next year would be fine if I don't find something this year. Looking at late 2000-teens models in the low/mid $20k range, preferably 35-40' to be towed by my diesel dually 1-ton pickup.

If anyone reading has personal experience to share with a mid bunk setup, please share here anytime!
Scott,
We're still very happy with our Grand Design Reflection 5W mid bedroom with bunk above. King bed in master berth. Lots of room in the living area with center island.

@Tom Do you mind sharing what year and model # you have? I’ll look up the specs and check out any photos online. Many of the floorplans are similar but I’m still interested in seeing as many as I can.

@Tom Do you mind sharing what year and model # you have? I’ll look up the specs and check out any photos online. Many of the floorplans are similar but I’m still interested in seeing as many as I can.
Scott, it's a 2019 model 367BHS. Floorplan is identical to this brochure except we have 4 chairs at the dining table and the king bed option. Also don't have the washer/dryer option, outside griddle or outside refrigerator. Because we don't normally have guests, I use the mid bedroom (with sofabed) as my music room and Chris is able to close that bedroom door. The (large) bunk above the mid bedroom is used for storage (my fishing gear and guitars).

Scroll down in the brochure for a 360 view and some pics.

One thing I wondered after posting my last message was if you get a lot of snow. I did considerable research on snow levels and associated moisture content (roof load) in the Star Valley, WY and decided i needed covered storage.

Attachments

• GD storage.jpg
    GD storage.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
  • GD storage2.jpg
    GD storage2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
We have a 2021 Keystone Cougar 368 MBI with a mid bunkhouse and we love it. Master bdrm in front and rear living room.
Also as you go up the stairs to the bedroom there is a loft the is at least 8ft long and 6 ft wide. Our oldest son who is 6' 1 actually prefers it to the bed in the bunkhouse.

RV Floorplan

• Floorplan
  • Exterior

Also as you go up the stairs to the bedroom there is a loft the is at least 8ft long and 6 ft wide. Our oldest son who is 6' 1 actually prefers it to the bed in the bunkhouse.

I’d wondered about those lofts before and how functional they actually are… always seemed like there was so little headroom. But we may have 2 of our 3 boys still camping with us at times, so that extra separate bed could be really handy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom