Cat Diesel will not start from ignition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARWing

Hello All, I just got a new to me / used 2000 Safari Zanzibar with a 300 CAT. The Batteries in the Coach and Chassis were questionalble at best and really wouldn't take a charge. I changed out the Batteries today and everything seemed good to go... At least I thought.  Now the BAD PART!!!

The engine will not start from the Ignition Switch in the front, but all the lights come on and everything seems to be working OK; But the Allison Transmission does not have a gear/N indication. If I turn the Ignition Switch to Run/Start I can use the Maintenance Start and Stop Buttons back by the Fuel Seperator and Fuel Filter which I think is just a covienance location for a CAT Technician.

The Engine will start from the Maintenance/Service area... But the Pac-Brake (J-Brake) automatically engages which I am sure is a safety device.

Does anybody know why the Engine will not start from Ignition, but it will at the Maintenance Panel. I've checked all the fuses and CB's, but to no avail. Is there a master reset for the engine/transmission? Can I reset by removing the Battery connections (Negative First/Positive Second)?

Thanks,
Bill

OK, This one was easy... There was one ~12 Gauge Wire that I had connected to the Positive on the Chassis battery, when in fact this should have been the Ground connection... Once I moved it, the coach started right up.

Remember; If you are going to change your batteries, take a picture if you can or clearly write down the connections. I knew I had all the parallel connections right, I just didn't have this ground connection right.

Works now.

I suggest either spray paint or nail polish  RED and BLACK

All the wires on the POSITIVE side get RED

All the Negative get black

NOTE: if red/black is not enough contrast, use WHITE for Negative, odds are the factory has most of the white wires grounded anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom