Catalytic Converter Thieves Arrested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know what these converters cost to make, what auto dealers pay, what thieves sell them for and what those buyers get for them and how?

As I said...it works. LOL!

When folks say...It's only property...

I laugh. You really think that stealing is the only criminal mischief they do? Don't kid yourself. Fact is our so called "Justice system' is completely broke. It does not provide what is direly needed. Severe punishment for heinous crimes and repeat offenders.

We know what doesn't work. What we have been doing. Time for serious change.

Last edited:
I would say "Accident" also! Maybe pull back and forth several times just to be sure it was really accidental.

If there was no ready market for them, they would have no reason to steal them.
Actually, the thieves created their own "need". One gets stolen. Now the owner need to buy a new one. So they turn to the cheapest resources. You guessed it, they picked one up, not from a reputable dealership and pay a full price, plus taxes. Nope, they go search out the cheapest one and, you guessed it, they purchase a cheaper one ... that was probably stolen too. The cycle continues. The thieves manufactured the need!

I've had several different automobiles in my lifetime that had catalytic converters and each one of those vehicles were driven to the ground before trading. All sorts of parts were replaced and fixed. But never a catalytic converter have I ever had to replace because of age or wear or usage.

So, in my opinion, the high demand for these is not because of the part wearing out from use, but because of replacing a stolen converter for another stolen converter.

If you had one stolen, would you purchase a new one for full price from your local "reputable" auto dealership repair shop or the local NAPA parts store? Probably not.

Does anyone know what these converters cost to make, what auto dealers pay, what thieves sell them for and what those buyers get for them and how?
I'm reading the precious metals inside the biscuit can be sold to scrap dealers for between $300.00 and $1500.00.

I had to replace my 1998 Chevrolet pickup catalytic with Federal Emissions a couple of years ago at 300K miles. It blew through and plugged up the muffler. Colorado had just passed the California Compliance catalytic converter retroactive emission replacement law. The replacement cost was over four times more for the California model versus a Federal. The California Catalytic converter wasn't even yet available throughout Western Colorado, but my muffler shop still had a couple of Federal in stock. What a choice I had to make.

I'm reading the precious metals inside the biscuit can be sold to scrap dealers for between $300.00 and $1500.00.

That seems optimistic. 300-1500 is roughly the price of a new, CA/ CARB-certified cat converter for an average newer car.

But let’s say a thief gets $50-$75 for a used one without any documentation, ie it was stolen. For <2 minutes of work, that’s pretty easy pickings.

That seems optimistic. 300-1500 is roughly the price of a new, CA/ CARB-certified cat converter for an average newer car.

But let’s say a thief gets $50-$75 for a used one without any documentation, ie it was stolen. For <2 minutes of work, that’s pretty easy pickings.
It's only what I googled, it's the internet. Otherwise, they don't sell the converters they sell the biscuit (a cartridge inside the CC which contains what they're after) . Different types of CC's have differing amounts of the precious metals used for filtration. Most States don't have rules for the buying and selling of CC materials so the thiefs are under no obligation to document where the parts came from. As far as the dealers know and probably care to know they came from legitimately scrapping out cars and trucks.

Actually, the thieves created their own "need". One gets stolen. Now the owner need to buy a new one. So they turn to the cheapest resources. You guessed it, they picked one up, not from a reputable dealership and pay a full price, plus taxes. Nope, they go search out the cheapest one and, you guessed it, they purchase a cheaper one ... that was probably stolen too. The cycle continues. The thieves manufactured the need!

I've had several different automobiles in my lifetime that had catalytic converters and each one of those vehicles were driven to the ground before trading. All sorts of parts were replaced and fixed. But never a catalytic converter have I ever had to replace because of age or wear or usage.

So, in my opinion, the high demand for these is not because of the part wearing out from use, but because of replacing a stolen converter for another stolen converter.

If you had one stolen, would you purchase a new one for full price from your local "reputable" auto dealership repair shop or the local NAPA parts store? Probably not.
Interesting point of view.

Back
Top Bottom