Charging Chassis Battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yfx4

I was unable to find my answer in a search.

I know the chassis battery dies not charge from shore power but the chassis charging system connects to the house batteries. I know I should buy (and connect) a trik-l-start.....

(1) should I disconnect the chassis battery to charge it with a battery charger?

(2) Should I run a separate extension cord or is it OK to plug the charger into an interior outlet as long as the RV is on shore power?

THANKS!!!!!

I see no need to disconnect the chassis battery to charge it, and I see no problem with plugging the charger into an RV outlet.  I have done this on several occaisions.

Paul

Another option is a device like this Echo Charge that connects the two battery systems directly. It is a little more expensive but works automatically.

If you are talking about your 05 Adventurer it should charge the chassis battery off of shore power also

Hmmmm. I thought shore power only charged house batteries and  engine charged all.

our 05 Pace Arrow charges both house and Chassis on shore genny or Motor

PCarillon: as an FYI:

Yes but... Most, if not all, Fleetwood manufactured units (including the Pace) have the feature to charge both the house batteries AND the engine batteries when plugged in. Many of the other manufacturers including Winnibago do not have that feature. The Winnebago exception is the larger diesel powered pushers that had a Trik-L-Start installed by the factory in  more recent years (2007+?). An Echo-Charge unit is similar to a Trik-L-Start unit, but by different manufacturers.

Wow I didnt realize that seems kind of odd that they wouldnt incorporate that thanks for the FYI

Some MFGs of RVs such as Fleetwood do have a unit that does charge the Chassis battery. As well as the RV batteries when plugged in.

My Fleetwood Tioga came equipped  with a BIRD a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay.

Coupled with my smart converter/charger it does a great job of keeping all batteries, Coach and Chassis charged and in top shape without boiling them.

Coaches that are used on weekends and holidays generally don't have to worry about chassis battery discharge because they get driven within 2-5 days and the engine alternator brings the charge back up. Those who camp longer, e.g. weeks or months, often have a problem, though. And then there is storage between uses to consider as well. Fleetwood  and  National RV included chassis battery maintenance charging as a standard feature, but Winnebago/Itasca and Monaco did not.  More recently, Winnebago has added that to all diesel models and the larger gas models as well.

I used to have the problem of a low engine starting battery if the coach sat too long between trips.  My coach happens to have a lot of items connected to it that draw power constantly.  I installed a small battery tender in the chassis battery compartment and ran an extension cord from there to a power outlet in the compartment I store all my power cords and adapters.  Whenever I'm plugged in at home, I plug this cord in and keep the chassis battery charged.  I used a weatherproof 12 gauge power cord and installed it in a protective sheath and carefully secured it from point a to point b. 

That is all great info. I was concerned because, if i recall correctly, the engine charging system will charge the house batteries. I did not want to overcharge the house batteries ( on shore power) trying to charge the chassis battery.

Back
Top Bottom