Check Engine Light EGR Valve Replacement Cummins ISL 8.9L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrewE2

Hello all,

For about 6 weeks I've had an intermittent amber Check Engine light. I pulled the following code from my ScanGuageD:
2791*** Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation 1 Valve 1 Control 1 Desired
percentage of maximum Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve 1 opening.*
0% means valve is closed. 100% means maximum valve opening (full gas flow).
FM: 13*** Out of calibration
[size=14pt]
In speaking with Cummins and others, it is likely that my EGR valve needs to be replaced. 

My question is, can I just unbolt the EGR Valve and install a new valve? Or does a new EGR valve require some sort of ECM/ECU recalibration?  ::)

I got that code last year, shortly after having an oil change at Speedco in Kenly NC. I  called Freightliner  and the tech told me that it was safe to keep driving.  I continued on to Miami,  where I  spent the winter. Once the oil got black, I  could see that my oil was way over filled. I had a mobile oil change service come out. He removed a gallon of oil to get down to the full mark on the dipstick. The check engine  code was still there, so I headed back to NC in April. After driving for about 700 miles, the check engine light went out. No problems since then. My engine is the 6.7 liter ISB 340HP.

If you look at some of the Ram Cummins boards, you will find many many that are in a no smog area, ( and don't require a yearly test) will remove the system entirely for better fuel economy and engine operation.>>>Dan

Just a follow-up on the status of my check engine light and EGR valve OP.

I purchased a new EGR Valve from eBay $325. I had it installed when I had my annual service done at Total Truck Shop in Spokane, Washington. It was a 30-minute install. No ECU programming required and it appears to have corrected my check engine light problem.  YMMV :))

BrewE2 said:
Hello all,

For about 6 weeks I've had an intermittent amber Check Engine light. I pulled the following code from my ScanGuageD:[size=14pt]
In speaking with Cummins and others, it is likely that my EGR valve needs to be replaced. 

My question is, can I just unbolt the EGR Valve and install a new valve? Or does a new EGR valve require some sort of ECM/ECU recalibration?  ::)

You can't pull the egr of a cummins without a delete tuner or you'll throw a code when the pcm looks for the signal input from the egr valve. DON'T delete unless you have a shop that will stand behind the tuner and pay for any problems the tuner may cause to your pcm. I know this first hand, freck'n nightmare. Egr can be cleaned also, they build up with carbon and the spool valve gets stuck or won't move freely,,,gregg

Back
Top Bottom