Check your AC ducts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

While tracing a wire route i had to take off my AC duct hoping i could get my hand up in there to confirm the wire location.  That did not work but i did notice that once again the MFG did a sloppy job on the AC ductwork and some of the aluminum foil was broken or not done well and i was cooling my RV attic all this time.

I patched the spaces using new aluminum foil and some duct tape.  So be sure to check your AC vents as it could save you some money in cooling costs. 

Attachments

• SANY0006 (Small).jpeg
    SANY0006 (Small).jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 42
djw2112 said:
I patched the spaces using new aluminum foil and some duct tape.  So be sure to check your AC vents as it could save you some money in cooling costs.

I would be using the aluminum foil tape especially made for this application.  Regular duct tape may not last. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ADO-Products-2-in-x-50-yds-Aluminum-Foil-Tape-Roll-TF25012/302742795

Rene T said:
I would be using the aluminum foil tape especially made for this application.  Regular duct tape may not last. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ADO-Products-2-in-x-50-yds-Aluminum-Foil-Tape-Roll-TF25012/302742795

Yes, thanks :), I thought i had some but i used it all up on another project so ill have to get some more, this will do till i get some :)

Rene T said:

How is that for irony..Duct Tape cannot be used on Ducts according to our mechanical code....

On the same concept, take a look under your shower.  Mine is raised up with an access panel underneath.  I have been concerned how much the floor of my shower flexes.  Took the panel off and discovered a thin piece of plywood underneath the shower floor, supported in the middle by ONE, short, 2x4 on end.  (There are no other props that have obviously fallen down, so I can only assume that is how it was manufactured.  Couldn't they have at least put two scrap pieces of 2x4s to hold it up?  Like at a cost of maybe 50 cents?)

So, as soon as I get to my son's house in a couple of weeks, I plan to get a couple of extra short 2x4s cut to length and add them to this shaky prop to give my shower floor some additional support.

I also really need to take that panel off again and document it with some photos. 

Judy, I recommend putting plenty of support around the drain to keep that area from moving. It's possible to cause the drain to leak if it moves around too much.

I plan on it.  I just cannot believe how shoddy some of the workmanship is on these things.  My son has tools, and it will hopefully be a bit less rainy and cold where he is in Northern California by the time I get there.  My shower has obviously been like this for 6 years, so I think it will last another two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom