Checking Tire Pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray... thanks for your post!  I won't join the "discussion" other than to say that I use a Doran360 TPMS with 10 sensors... and also rely on gadgets like, well, this laptop I'm typing this on the the internet it's connected to.

But, I lived near Boise for 7 years (off hwy 55 near Shadow Valley Golf Course) and can really empthize with your "isolation". 

Best of Luck to you!

RV Roamer said:
Now, what about your manual tire gauge? Do you have that re-calibrated every 6 months? The typical tire gauge is notoriously inaccurate in the first place, and after knocking around for a year or two, who knows?

Bought me a brand new gauge when I bought the rig 2 years ago. I have to remove the wheel covers on all wheels to get the gauge on tired it on the front wheels read 95lbs they had just been mounted and I knew they were around 60 psi. checked with the digital gauge it reads fine. Check the car tires with the "truck" gauge and couldn't get the same pressure twice.
tossed it in the tool box.
this spring after driving the rig for the first time and it was all over the road at anything above 55 mph I had the rear springs replaced. and when it wasn't any better I got the gauge out and it read one inner at 25 psi then 80 psi then 12 psi. checked all tires on the rig. and if I take 3 or 4 checks and keep it pointed upwards.... I guess at what the real pressure is. then I went for a drive pressure is a bit hard because I can tell what brand of cigarette I run over.
will have to take the covers off again. Oh and these are those covers the have some sort of weird bracket that hooks into the holes on the rims and then you tighten that big plastic "nut" (unless it has broken)
If I wasn't thinking it is time to trade up on this rig I would install a tpms just so I wouldn't have to take the hub caps off to check that I don't need air.

I have a 3 gallon pancake air compressor.  I use it for my air nailers and to keep up air pressures in all the vehicle tires. Prior to departing on a RV trip I bring the coach home to load it up. The routine also includes checking tire pressures and bringing the tires up to the proper pressures if needed. Generally the tire pressures do not change much. I replaced a couple tires last season because of the dry rot/stress cracks. I had the new tires put on the front. I also checked the manufacture dates on the tires (with the exception of the inside duals) and will probably replace the rear tires prior to next seasons RVing.  I think being proactive on the tires will save me problems in the future and as a result of checking I found a tire that was constantly loosing pressure. The problem was found to be a simple valve stem replacement. :)

Tom said:
I haven't observed any issues with tire changers that would cause a problem with the PPro sensors; I'd merely remove the sensors before entering the shop, and replace them afterwards.

I leave my sensors on the tires so that when they are rebalanced, the sensor weight is accounted for. Discount Tire in Goodyear is very up to date on keeping my sensors in the original tire position rather than on the same tire when they rotate ;)

Understood Bernie. OTOH we've been reading for the last x years that the additional weight of a sensor is insignificant and won't affect balance.

Tom said:
Understood Bernie. OTOH we've been reading for the last x years that the additional weight of a sensor is insignificant and won't affect balance.

Tom

Completely true on coach tires. PP sensors weigh about 2/3 oz and can have some slight effect depending on tire size and weight. I haven't noticed any difference with or without the sensors on. But as long as Discount Tire rebalances the tires free every 6 months, I just have them balanced with the sensors on since I hardly ever take them off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom