Cheese Straws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayflight

Well this time of year we indulge in a potential artery clogging event. To date we have not been able to find a way to reduce the calorie content per wafer. These must be made with pure Amish butter when we can get it. But today we compromised with store bought stuff.

Attachments

• DSC09223.JPG
    DSC09223.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 18
We enhance them with some additional Cayenne Pepper on top after they are cooked on occasions. Now talk about yummy,, But sometime guests that eats too many do take offense the next day.:ROFLMAO:

Fat content and cholesterol. My Dr. was talking about that my last visit. I said look Doc i'm 80 how much longer will I live if I adhere to this diet? She gave me the deer in the headlights look, then said "you-know you're right, at your age, eat what you want. "
Yesterday I bought a ½G jar of pickled sliced Jalapenos for my sandwiches and roll-ups.
I already had this, it's about ½ empty now.

Attachments

• 1G Tabasco sauce.jpg
    1G Tabasco sauce.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1
Fat content and cholesterol. My Dr. was talking about that my last visit. I said look Doc i'm 80 how much longer will I live if I adhere to this diet? She gave me the deer in the headlights look, then said "you-know you're right, at your age, eat what you want. "
Yesterday I bought a ½G jar of pickled sliced Jalapenos for my sandwiches and roll-ups.
I already had this, it's about ½ empty now.
Your stomach lining and parts below must be shielded with teflon.:ROFLMAO:
In my earlier days lard biscuits and frying in bacon grease, all southern standard cooking methods did not serve me well with my genes. But I now get by with a splurge day a week.

We used to eat the steamed crabs cooked by my late MIL that believed in using bunches of Cayenne pepper mixed with Old Bay of course and would almost create blisters on my lips going in.

She used the same "cook book recipe" that Justin Wilson used when cooking crabs. So you never knew how many beers it would take to put the fire out. But that did create some of the best crab meat to date. I now consume soft shell crabs as an alternative. And my stomach accepts them much better.

Use this to spice it up a bit more. The original only has about 180,000 Scoville units.

1704036090522.jpeg

About 15 years ago my heart doctor put me on high dose statins. Last month my cholesterol levels were rock bottom.

My original doc told me that if I stayed on statins I had basically zero chance of dying from arterial heart disease much less needing stents or bypasses like all 3 of my brothers.

I don't go crazy but eat pretty much what I want. Unfortunately I am becoming borderline diabetic and need to watch that and take meds.

I once bought a bottle of very tasty hot sauce. its name was Dr. Phartpounders Colon Cleaner. I bought it from the hot shop in Gatlinburg TN, I've never found it again.
Found it for you if you have a real hankerin' for it...

I love spicy foods and hot sauces depending on the food I am eating. I have eaten the spiciest Thai and Indian food.

However, I am not a fan of sauces so fiery they mask the underlying flavor of the food. If you want that, skip the food and just do hot sauce shots - LOL...

1704040936238.png

Found it for you if you have a real hankerin' for it...

I love spicy foods and hot sauces depending on the food I am eating. I have eaten the spiciest Thai and Indian food.

However, I am not a fan of sauces so fiery they mask the underlying flavor of the food. If you want that, skip the food and just do hot sauce shots - LOL...

View attachment 170150
That's it. It is hot but is also flavorful IMO. I've tasted some that had no taste, or if it did was masked by the hotness level, never bought those.
I've been on a statin+ CoQ10 for the last 25 years; Colesterol is still around 350, down from near 500 at the first blood test. One open heart surgery, 5 yrs later two long stents. Today the heart Dr says I have a strong healthy heart. BP is 117/58, pulse 72 on my meds.

The heart surgeon made me laugh so hard my incision hurt. He told me, "I fixed the plumbing the rest is up to you." I was already retired so after I healed I was back to building farm fences, working the cattle and training horses.
I still try to eat healty and avoid everything like "cheese straws". BTW, the heart Dr told me to eat pure butter, the stuff in margarine was harder on my heart.

Last edited:
However, I am not a fan of sauces so fiery they mask the underlying flavor of the food. If you want that, skip the food and just do hot sauce shots - LOL..

That is sometimes the case in many of the cajun and creole dishes in La. in particular.

BTW, the heart Dr told me to eat pure butter, the stuff in margarine was harder on my heart.
I saw a dietician when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, and was told that real butter is healthier than margarine- I've stayed away from margarine since. And butter can be left on the table between meals, if you so desire, though the internet says that you should refrigerate unsalted butter.

I also discovered that olive oil is, generally, healthier than other cooking oils, leaving few if any deposits behind, and I've also found that it's much easier to clean up afterwards, so it's rare that we use any other cooking oil- we even fry french fries, etc. in olive oil- they're good.

I once bought a bottle of very tasty hot sauce. its name was Dr. Phartpounders Colon Cleaner. I bought it from the hot shop in Gatlinburg TN, I've never found it again.

I've had that in my collection for a long time. I got it at a grocery store in Saratoga, Ca.

I have about 20 feet worth of shoulder to shoulder bottles. And two refrigerator door shelves of the ones I'm currently using.

The blue bottle on the left is TRLR TRSH.

IMG_2824.jpeg

Use this to spice it up a bit more. The original only has about 180,000 Scoville units.

View attachment 170145
When my Daughter was very young (As in still in diapers) I introduced her to the US version of Mexican cooking.. Her mother would not touch the stuff but Darling Daughter... Well she IS my daughter and for a German Girl my mother was a darn good Mexician cook (She taught American English to immigrants when she was young... She taught language. They taught her cooking)
Daughter can put that stuff pictured above on a Chip and eat it direct. Yup She's that spicy.

When my Daughter was very young (As in still in diapers) I introduced her to the US version of Mexican cooking.. Her mother would not touch the stuff but Darling Daughter... Well she IS my daughter and for a German Girl my mother was a darn good Mexician cook (She taught American English to immigrants when she was young... She taught language. They taught her cooking)
Daughter can put that stuff pictured above on a Chip and eat it direct. Yup She's that spicy.
When I was working for Fish & Wildlife, over about a 10-year period I had 4 different guys working for me as seasonal personnel. Two were from Mexico, one was from Guatemala, and one was from Honduras. Every one of them asked at one time or another, "Why do gringos think we eat really spicy food? A little bit of pico is OK, but some Americans put so much hot sauce on the food you can't eat it."

And they were right. I've been to MX many times, Panama a handful of time, and Belize 3 or 4 times and if you want hot spicy food you have to ask for a bottle of Tapatio or some other hot sauce because they just don't automatically put it in the food.

"Why do gringos think we eat really spicy food? A little bit of pico is OK, but some Americans put so much hot sauce on the food you can't eat it."

Yes that's one of the other things my mother taught me. Most mexicans the food is not spicy at all.
As for the answer to their questions... Refrigeration... There are parts of Mexico that still do not have refrigeration. So meat tends to.... spoil.
So when the Rich Americano Gringos came down to dinner. They basicaly emptied the spice cabinet to hide the taste of the rancid meat.. and thus a "Tradition" was formed in the minds of the Gringos who took the hot-spicy back north with them when they went home.
Or so goes the story.. Makes sense too.
Though I'm OK with like 5-alarm Chili (I'm not quite Dave's level insane)
I'm more a "Well Fried Beans" level as I actually do not spice things much.
I like to taste the various flavors the spice hides (But then i use well refrigerated meats).

Every one of them asked at one time or another, "Why do gringos think we eat really spicy food? A little bit of pico is OK, but some Americans put so much hot sauce on the food you can't eat it."

This happens with almost every culture. Gringos are most familiar with Northern Mexican food because of proximity to the border but there are regional differences in all countries. Plus we've added our own "American" twist to every cuisine we've brought here.

One could hardly call American Chinese food, Chinese food if one has been to China.

I saw a dietician when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, and was told that real butter is healthier than margarine- I've stayed away from margarine since. And butter can be left on the table between meals, if you so desire, though the internet says that you should refrigerate unsalted butter.

I tend to agree with your dietician (And am also Type 2 DM) as for refrigerating unsalted butter. I do but not due to anything on the Internet... There is a web page that keeps telling me things I'm doing wrong and things I never knew.. only problem is they are often wrong.. Very Very often wrong and in some cases their dis-information falls right into my skill set Ever use a hex wrench (Allen wrench) They claim the two ends are different sizes... NOPE they are not. That is how easy it is to debunk them.

Story time.
A man liked hot sauce and learned to handle the sauces quite tangy bite. One day his son asked if he could try some, so dad said yes and put some on the boys hamburger sandwich.
Well, the hot sauce burned the boys mouth so badly he cried, so dad gave him a bowl of ice cream, which relieved the boys burning mouth.
Later dad was walking down the hallway to his study and just as he passed the bathroom he heard_ "come on ice cream".

As to butter, it is fat molecules; fat turns rancid over time without a preservative or refrigeration. That said, butter will stay good for several weeks at moderate temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom