chewy.com competition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've used chewy.com for doggie prescription meds and prescription food for a number of years. Great service and good prices. Now, Vetsource is moving in on their turf.

When Chris tried to place a recent order with Chewy, they were unable to get our vet to issue a prescription refill. When I called the vet, they explained that they no longer issue prescriptions to Chewy, and that I'd need to use vetsource.com which is linked on their web site.

Until recently, we've ordered dry and wet food from chewy without issue. Lately however it's been difficult getting what our cats will eat. But we have finicky cats. Haven't needed any meds and hopefully that will not change.

When I called the vet, they explained that they no longer issue prescriptions to Chewy, and that I'd need to use vetsource.com which is linked on their web site.
That seems of dubious legality, a tie-in sale. I've used vets that made their preferred Rx source easy and the rest more difficult to use, but never encountered one that refused to issue one at all.

Recently found that my vet no longer issues paper prescriptions - I have to order the drug and have the provider contact them for a digital Rx. Also found that 1-800-Pet-Meds wouldn't accept a PDF copy of a paper Rx or even the paper RX itself. They insisted on digital or fax, transmitted direct from the vet office. I'm thinking that there must be a lot of abuse of animal Rx and they are tightening up?

One of my dogs needs a prescription medicine. $15/month at the vet and $10 for 3 months at Wal-Mart.

In all likelihood, Vetsource gives a kickback to veterinarians. Which likely results in higher prices for you.
That was my thought. In this case, the only other option they offered was to drive 1,000+ miles home, pick up a paper prescription, and snail mail it to Chewy.

Back
Top Bottom