Clanking sound from inside (?) LP tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbkoonse

I seem to hear a clanking sound from coming from inside my(?) LP tank.  1991 Class A Georgie Boy Cruisemaster. Tank loses no propane, is more than 1/2 full and no propane smell. All propane aplliances are working. Should I worry? Sound occurs after I walk up or down steps. tank is located adjacent to door and steps.

Does the tank have a level gauge and is it working?  If it's not, it's float may have detached and is rattling around in the tank.

No problem except not knowing the level in the tank.

There's also a float on the overfill protection valve that is supposed to cut off the flow of propane when the tank is filled to the 80% level.  If your gauge is working, it's likely this is what's rattling and since it's an important safety device you should have it fixed by a propane dealer.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4959882007/a=75761216_75761216/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Thanks for your replys:

Hopefully I've uploaded some fotos of my LP setup. The tank appears secure and it definitely does sound as if there may be a float clinking around inside. I don't think there is a level gauge near the tank.  I have a gauge inside (which does not seem very accurate or responsive) and an LED indicator over the range.  Any further thoughts?

Hi Jb -

I fixed the typo in the link in your message so it points to your Snapfish photo album.  However, I was not able to get beyond the first photo unless I registered for a Snapfish account.

Look at where the electrical cable connects in your first photo.  It's the gauge I was talking about and is also the sender for the internal displays.  You should be able to see the pointer and scale markings behind the clear plastic.  If it's not working, the float has dropped off and is what is rattling around inside the tank.

Either the sender or Overfill Prevention Valve can be fixed by a propane service company.  Next time your tank is nearing empty, make an appointment at one of the large facilities that send out their own trucks to fill stationary tanks.  They'll be able to vent the remaining propane in the tank and install the new part.

Thanks a lot, Lou. I did not even know that one could have a propane company pay a visit and fill an RV tank! I also did not know about the gauge. I really appreciate your advice. Joe  ( also the link fix!!)

There's no chance it's the regulator cycling? I can hear ours cycling with nothing on other than the pilot light on the stove.

thanks for the regulator tip. pretty sure it is a loose float. tank is right by steps and it clangs briefly when i go up and down steps, then stops..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom