Class A tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byoung6

Anyone have any experience with Sumitoma tires?  They are considerably cheaper than Michelin.  My tire size is 235/80 R22.5. 

I put Sumitomo tires on my 2006 Winnebago.  19.5". They were fine for the 2 months I used them before I traded the coach.

Sumitomo is an excellent brand. I know of a couple folks here who are using them; perhaps they will respond.

Toyo, Yokohoma and Hankook are some other under-appreciated brands. They are well-respected internationally and often used by US truck fleets, but not well known by American car owners.

I just had a set of Cooper tires installed this morning. The installer showed me several Michelins in the scrap pile that were take offs from RV's and buses, some just 5 years old. Most of them showed obvious signs of dry rot inside. Many other brands in the pile including much older tires, looked ok except for tread wear or road hazard damage. One had a railroad spike through the sidewall. I have no idea how you manage that... ;)

Hello, Byoung6! Using your given tire size as a reference, I was able to find a compatible set for you, more specifically, these ironman tires. The Ironman All Country A/T and the Ironman All Country M/T tires would just be a perfect fit for your ride.

I've been running Sumitomos for 3 years.  No problems and hold air very well.  Mine are 245/75 R22.5 and cost $1672 including tax.   

This thread made me think of the pressure in my tires.  Because of Covid 19 and all the related craziness, it's been six months since we've been on the road.  The coach sits along side the house and 2 of the six tires get a fair amount of direct sunlight.  So I took one of my trusty gauges and just checked.  Of the 6 tires, one was down about 5 lbs.  I checked during the mid-day when temps were in the upper 90s.  I'll check again tomorrow when things cool down.  All in all, I'm pretty happy that they are holding the air.

garyb1st said:
This thread made me think of the pressure in my tires.  Because of Covid 19 and all the related craziness, it's been six months since we've been on the road.  The coach sits along side the house and 2 of the six tires get a fair amount of direct sunlight.  So I took one of my trusty gauges and just checked.  Of the 6 tires, one was down about 5 lbs.  I checked during the mid-day when temps were in the upper 90s.  I'll check again tomorrow when things cool down.  All in all, I'm pretty happy that they are holding the air.

Your not letting them sit in the sun I hope. Worst thing in the world for them

The 6 Sumitomo tires on my Class A are now almost 10 years old, still plenty of tread but the sidewalls are starting to crack so I'm in the process of finding new. The Sumitomo's have been good tires, although not so good in rain or snow with no real sipes to direct water away, just the four deep groves that keep it pretty stable in dry conditions. Right now I'm looking at 6 Toyo's, my Sumitomo's are 270/75R22.5 (6 for $3100) but the nearest Toyo is 295/8022.5 ($3200) so I'm not sure if they are going to be too wide for the rear duals, and the extra height is a problem for the speedometer although I can live with that, but also effectively changes the gear ratio which will slow us down on hills.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Hello, Byoung6! Using your given tire size as a reference, I was able to find a compatible set for you, more specifically, these ironman tires. The Ironman All Country A/T and the Ironman All Country M/T tires would just be a perfect fit for your ride.
The Ironman tires are made in China for Cooper / Hurcules, they have a terrible reputation, almost as bad as Michelins.

Why are you switching away from the Sumitomo's?

I like the Sumitomo's in the dry but in heavy rain they have a tendency to slide, a couple of scary moments at about 40 mph on twisty country road in heavy rain, and no grip getting out of a campground in snow.

I have been considering the 255/70 Toyo (at almost half the price) but I didn't want to lower my load rating, the 295/80 is a touch higher load rating than my Sumitomo's. Also the 255 is an inch narrower.

I just switched over on my rears from 275/80R/22.5 to a Hankook 295/75R/22.5,, the match is with in 2 revolutions PER MILE.. That's less than 1 percent and the new ones are a ton less money than the previous Michelins..>>>Dan

There are two choices for this tire: Toyo and Michelin. But which is better? It depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re an off-road enthusiast and want more affordable tires, go for Toyo. For a better on-road experience, Michelin is better.

Back
Top Bottom