Class C Coachmen Backup Camera recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

findlj

Hello Everyone,

We've just purchased a 2000 Coachmen Catalina 24ft.  Class C Rv.  It's in very good condition, less than 60K miles and we know the history of it for the last 8 years.

I would like to install a backup camera for it, but need recommendations for good ones to buy.  Local dealers are wanting $900+ to install a basic camera with a monitor only, no replacement radio. 
I'm thinking, strictly from a complete newby point of view, that if I go that route and don't replace the AM/FM casette radio, I could install a wireless system without too much difficulty. 
I'm fairly mechanically minded but certainly no electrical whiz.

I'm looking for suggestions on good, reliable cameras that would work on this rig and also would be relatively easy to install.

Thanks for the help in advance.

While the picture produced by a high quality wireless system may be okay when the vehicle is stationary, every wireless device (every one!) is susceptible to interference, and that interference will be worse when the vehicle is in motion. Because a wireless system transmits a video image through the air, instead of via a cable, there can be some interference from a variety of sources, including electrical interference, high power radio and television transmitters, and many other sources encountered as the vehicle moves.
I personally STRONGLY recommend a wired system.you can check this for help:
https://brakelightcamera.com/product-category/universal-backup-cameras/

I have a Voyager wireless on all the time.  Once in a while for a second or two it loses signal but not for long.  Will recommend to anyone if you don't mind a large monitor attached to your windshield or somewhere else.  I don't.

Rear View Safety.  It is a company out of New York.  They provide cameras for NY buses and trash trucks.  Recommend wired.

Another vote for the Voyager wireless system.  I had mine installed when I bought my class C 23U over 4 years ago and it has never, and i mean never, had a signal loss problem.  The camera is wired to the running lights so all I have to do is turn on the running lights and the camera is on.  The only thing you have to remember is to unplug the monitor from the 12 volt outlet when not in use other wise it could drain the chassis battery.  Turning off the monitor is not sufficient, it will still draws power.  I would recommend this system to anyone.

In my '89 Sportscoach I have a wireless system I bought from an outfit called Tadi Brothers.  It's a wireless system with a color camera with night vision.  I like it about 100 times better than the factory installed, wired system in the '00 Bounder I just bought.
I run it all the time to keep an eye on my toad, and other than an occasional flicker(that doesn't even happen often enough I can pinpoint a cause)I have no problem with it.
I really like the night vision for backing into a campsite when I arrive a bit later than planned.  Only thing is, I wish I'd sprung the extra $30 for the camera with the guide line option.  I ended up using some thin pinstriping tape to put my own lines on the monitor.

I have a wireless camera system identical to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-TFT-LCD-Rear-View-Monitor-Wireless-Night-Vision-Car-Reverse-Backup-Camera-/400513082435?hash=item5d4070a443 which was installed by the previous owner on my 2002 Safari Trek.  Overall I can say it works, picture is reasonably crisp, however color accuracy is about as good as a rerun of a 1960's color tv show (green grass looks blueish gray), and I do get a momentary blip of interference every once in a while, however none of that causes much of a problem when using it for backing into or out of a parking spot.  Still due to the semi birds eye look down angle and limited field of view I like to have a spotter on the ground if possible also.

Isaac-1 said:
I have a wireless camera system identical to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-TFT-LCD-Rear-View-Monitor-Wireless-Night-Vision-Car-Reverse-Backup-Camera-/400513082435?hash=item5d4070a443 which was installed by the previous owner on my 2002 Safari Trek.  Overall I can say it works, picture is reasonably crisp, however color accuracy is about as good as a rerun of a 1960's color tv show (green grass looks blueish gray), and I do get a momentary blip of interference every once in a while, however none of that causes much of a problem when using it for backing into or out of a parking spot.  Still due to the semi birds eye look down angle and limited field of view I like to have a spotter on the ground if possible also.

Someone else suggested this in another thread. Looks real good for the price. I have a garmin rv system with camera but the camera is not that good. I wonder if I can use the cameral wiring and install this device.

You should be able to it appears to be an off the shelf camera and off the shelf monitor with another off the shelf wireless transmitter / receiver hooked up to the standard plugs between them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom