Class C maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So just a follow-up guys. Transmission flushed and filled with Valvoline MaxLife, differential oil changed to Valvoline 75w90. Coolant replaced, fuel filter replaced. The fuel in the old filter looked more like diluted engine oil than clean fuel... kind of disturbing to see that. Just curious what tire pressure you guys run on 225/75r16? It's a 28' Jayco Greyhawk. The tire shop recommended less than the pressure on the door stamp, they said it would lead to premature wear.

The transmission shifts noticebly smoother and drives smoother all around. Glad I made these fluid changes even with only 35,000 miles on a 2003.

Just curious what tire pressure you guys run on 225/75r16? It's a 28' Jayco Greyhawk. The tire shop recommended less than the pressure on the door stamp, they said it would lead to premature wear.

Quite likely. While you can usually get by just fine on a car or light pickup with fixed numbers for pressure, on heavier units it's best to adjust pressures according to weight on the wheel, or at least on the axle, which is best done by weighing your rig with full fuel as it's loaded for your trip. Then compare the weights to the tire manufacturer's pressure vs weight table -- most of them have similar figures, but you can find them for Michelin at: https://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/load-and-inflation-tables/#/ then select 22.5" and match your size on the tables, not forgetting to use the proper entry for whether it is a single or dual tire.

Chances are it'll also ride and drive better with proper inflation.

Just curious what tire pressure you guys run on 225/75r16? It's a 28' Jayco Greyhawk. The tire shop recommended less than the pressure on the door stamp, they said it would lead to premature wear.
Larry gave sound advice. You need the loaded weight from a scale to optimize tire pressure,

The psi on the tire placard is typically for a max loaded RV. The manufacturer has no idea how much cargo & passengers you will carry, so they have to assume worst case or risk advising you badly (and becoming legally liable for it!).

On the other hand, no large class C has much spare cargo capacity. I don't think the risk of excessive wear is meaningful - your tires won't be badly over-inflated. Max load (GVWR) on an E450 is 14,050 lbs and a 28 ft Greyhawk probably comes from the factory at around 12,500-13,000 lbs. Use trhe recommended psi values until you are sure your actual weight is significantly less than max.

Here's the 2003 brochure. https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2003_Jayco_Granite Ridge.pdf

Last edited:
A big one for we was the roof. On our class C the aluminum roof developed small pin holes that started to leak, plus the edges needed repairs. Used Eterna bond and all was well. Inside I had to replace wall panelling near the table.

Eires

Even with a coach as new as this (mine is 48yo), you seem to be aware that rubber parts age out. You have found a good place to start. Flushing the brake fluid will come along with replacing the rubber lines. That should happen because the brake fluid absorbs water and that water lowers the boiling point and can be corrosive.

Yes, that Onan is a splash lube engine, so it has no filter. This also makes the fill level very critical. Check it regularly.

Start a maintenance log TODAY. Put in every thing that is normal scheduled maintenance.

Make five working lists: A computer file works great, just be sure to back it up.
Things that the coach needs now. (to be safe and usable)
Things that can wait until the next off season.
Jobs waiting (You have the stuff, but not the time and it is not needed)
Deferred (things you thought you wanted, but now maybe not)
DONE (the Best Part - When something is done {not periodic maintenance, that should be in you maintenance log book} move it to this list with a date and it will be a valuable record. (I think I just replaced that house bank - Oh, it was 9 years ago!)

Why do you need to do this?? Very simple, the coach is not a daily driver, so it will not get the attention that the household fleet gets. If things go right, and I hope that they do, owning this coach will change a lot of your life. With any regular travel (that the coach invites you to do) this will all be a blur in a very short (will seem too short) time.

Also, for the reasons above, keep a travel log and try to take too many pictures.

Matt

When something is done {not periodic maintenance, that should be in you maintenance log book} move it to this list with a date and it will be a valuable record. (I think I just replaced that house bank - Oh, it was 9 years ago!)

Why do you need to do this?? Very simple, the coach is not a daily driver, so it will not get the attention that the household fleet gets.
I do this with all my vehicles. At sales time it won't necessarily net you more money but it does get you right there at top asking price and the sale is usually quick and easy.

Everyone dreams of the 10 year old "deal" with perfect (and credible) maintenance records.

As an aviation mechanic/ inspector for 33 years, I have found ( and preached) that the most expensive maintenance is deferred maintenance.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom