Cleaning Carburetor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willandgiselarv

Hey all I didn't know where to post this tip in regards to carburetor.
So the camping season started and wanted to bring my 150cc scooter with me but it has been sitting and know it starts but when trying to accelerate it bogs down and dies so it was time to remove carb and clean jets and float. Meanwhile I see something on YouTube in cleaning carb by using an air compressor and feeding air through the intake fuel lines..huh thought about it and have it a try...injected air in fuel line now I was thinking if the float and inlet valve was stuck then this air trick should work but if pilot jet clogged maybe not.
So I tried it and within 2 minutes my scooter was running great without removing carb.
Just wanted to pass this in case your GENERATOR seems to have carburetor fuel issues and can be a quick fix, I also have a trail 110 where it has been sitting and did this air compressor trick and trail 110 has been running great.
Sorry post was long but beats having to remove the carb to clean .

There is so much risk of damage that I wouldn't consider doing that.  If the compressed air dislodged a clog, where did the debris go?

sounds reasonable to try for a quick fix, the air nozzle would not have to be tight against the fuel inlet, Just being pointed at it would supply enough pressure to move things around.

Some small engine carbs like those used for Briggs motors have a bulb on the side to prime the fuel, all it really does is force air into the float bowl to force the fuel up the main jet and into the motor.

I can see this working when fuel has separated and ethanol or water is sitting in the bottom of the bowl.

lynnmor said:
There is so much risk of damage that I wouldn't consider doing that.  If the compressed air dislodged a clog, where did the debris go?
Like what? Most of the time the float w inlet valve is stuck not allowing for fuel? The float arm being bent? The jets won't get damage?? You ever take apart a carb?

Good tip, just be cautious with compressed air and gas, friction from the compressed air can light gas. Todays gas is garbage, combine that with low emission carbs and sitting too long. Those of us with 4 stroke kicker motors on our boats with small low emission carbs have battling this for awhile,,,gregg

Willandgiselarv said:
Like what? Most of the time the float w inlet valve is stuck not allowing for fuel? The float arm being bent? The jets won't get damage?? You ever take apart a carb?

I have rebuilt and worked on hundreds of carburetors.  Just today I did an Onan and will mount it this evening.  This carb had the usual corrosion in the bottom of the bowl and only manual work is the answer.  This project also reveled an intake manifold leak that I repaired by splitting the manifold, drilled for screws and resealed it.  Yes, I have a clue.

Blowing compressed air in might bend the float adjustment, push debris into small openings, rupture diaphragms and send debris into the engine. 

Back
Top Bottom