Cleaning the Awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hambone303

What can I use (household wise) to clean the awning? Is there a safe alternative to the RV specific stuff? What about putting a Scotchguard type protectant and waterproofer on it once it is cleaned?

Dometic says you should clean awnings with acrylic fabric differently than vinyl fabric.  Acrylic fabric should be cleaned only by hosing it down with fresh water and letting it dry.  They also discourage using hard bristle brushes and state that scrubbing an acrylic fabric may remove the water retardant finish.  For nasty grease spots on acrylic fabric, Dometic advises using K2r Stain Remover.

For awnings with vinyl fabric, Dometic does not recommend using mildew removers or household cleaners.  They say grease on a vinyl fabric  should only be removed with soap and water.  A good cleaner recommended by Dometic for vinyl awning fabrics consists of a mixture of:

1/4 cup of dish soap
                                  1/4 cup of bleach
                                  to five gallons of fresh water. 

They recommend applying this soapy mixture to the bottom of the awning as you roll it up and letting it soak for 5 minutes.  Then pull the awning back down and rinse both sides of the fabric off with fresh water from a garden hose.  Again, let the fabric dry before rolling the awning back up.

Don't know about Scotchguarding awning fabric.

If it is vinyl you can use about anything short of battery acid (it is really tough stuff), but I would stick with the usual household cleaners and degreasers. No abrasive cleaners, though. Pine tree sap can be removed with isopropyl alcohol.

Acrylic fabric is an entirely different matter. Rinsing it well and using a light duty detergent (such as car wash detergent) is about all that is recommended. Unfortunately, that won't remove any serious dirt that has sunk into the weave of the fabric and awnings often get a lot of that from overhead tree branches. I've successfully used Oxy-Clean on such nasty dirt and "scrubbed" with a light brush, the same brush I use to wash the sides of the RV. But if you do too much scrubbing or use too strong a detergent, you WILL remove the waterproofing and have to re-coat it. That's not a terribly difficult job - you buy several cans of waterproofing spray designed for synthetic fabrics (most outdoor stores have it) and spray it liberally. Been there and done that - works fine.

Back
Top Bottom