Clueless '75 Apache Mesa Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi - have the above, which apparently my Dad never opened up since buying in about 2000...go to open it up, and it apparently needs a crank tool, which doesn't appear to be present. Of course. It does seem so turn ok when I go clockwise by hand on the mechanism at the back, but only to a point. Am I going the right direction? Thanks,

USDC

If I remember correctly, clockwise is up, counterclockwise is down. DO NOT OVER CRANK! Loved my '74 Apache Solid State Roamer. Brilliant popup design! This is mine. Amazingly, I found the image on Pinterest! This was taken shortly after I repainted the bottom in a darker green. The original green was a little too "green apple" for my tastes. We put a lot of miles on that little camper.

1974 Apache Roamer Whitwell TN.jpg

You can also remake a crank. It is fairly easy. We forgot ours at home once and we cobbled together one by cutting two slots in an old reamed out deep well socket to accommodate the pin on the gear box and used a long handled ratchet to crank it up. The top is kinda hard to crank up without the additional leverage of the hand crank, that's why I used a very long handled ratchet. Or you may have to rebuild the gear box and/or the lift chain may be damaged. I suggest that if the lift chain is damaged, try flipping the chain end-for-end and you may be able to position the damaged links to the upper position. Rebuilding gear boxes is easy. I rebuilt ours and got the "new teeth" replacement gears. If the "living hinge" is shot, you can replace it with sections of "pipe heat cable" (cut to length). It will last for years! The double wires will slot into the tracks with a little bit of dish soap or electrical silicone spray to lubricate the track. The campers didn't change a whole lot from one year to the next so if you can't find a manual for the year you have, try looking one to two years older and newer.

Welcome to Forums!

We are from the Sunshine State of Florida, on Florida's west coast.
We H.L., Jan, and our RV a 2021 Coachmen Galleria 24FL with Li3.

Thank you for the info. i am reaching out to the resources you mentioned. LMHS - I don't really understand the socket modification idea. Could you elaborate? I do have a 1/2 inch breaker bar as well as some fairly long pipes that I use to slide over a rachet or breaker bar for torque. Thx,

USDC

The crank tool is dimply a pipe or tube with a slot to slide over and engage the pin on the crank shaft. If you cut a slot crosswise in a deep socket, it should slip into the crank port and over the crank. The drive end of the socket makes it easy too use a ratchet or breaker bar as a handle.

You can do something similar with a sturdy piece of pipe of the right diameter, cutting a slot across the end. To turn the rank, use a pipe wrench as the handle on the pipe. The exact shape depends on the crank shaft you need to mate to.

Yeah, if you're cutting a socket a grinder is going to work a whole lot faster than a saw.

That's a neat camper, I wasn't familiar with that style. LMHS, what would you consider the upsides and downsides of this kind of popup?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I know almost nothing about it but from watching a uTube video it seems like a fair amount of work to set it up.

USDC
A lot of work? My two preteen children and I could set up or break down our 12 ft Roamer in 15 minutes flat. Good thing you never watched us set up and then spin the camper around in a campsite so we could get a better view or more privacy.

Sorry, I'm back with questions. Please see the attached pic and advivse if it's the same as yours. By cutting the slot, are we trying to clear the brackets that have the pins holding it together? Does the socket have to fit tight on the pin? I'm getting about 3/4 on the pin.

Attachments

• 20240517_084651.jpg
    20240517_084651.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom