Coach Handling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothawk

I have a new to me 2005 Bounder on Ford?s f53 chassis. 

My questions are what handling fixes can I have done on an over time basis, and the priority for each.  If anyone has an estimate of cost for each proposed fix...that would be helpful. 

It?s big, kinda heavy, I understand that.  I don?t expect it to handle like a German sports car...but I would like to be able to relax a bit more on the road. 

The main problem in the Bounder is it's short wheelbase and long rear overhang which amplifies it's tendency to wander and makes it more sensitive to crosswinds than a longer wheelbase motorhome.  Ford's solid front axle also tends to road wander more than an independent suspension front end.

You can tighten the front end, add a steering stabilizer (a shock absorber between the axle and the tie rod to reduce sideways movement as the axle moves up and down) and add stiffer roll bars front and rear.

Over inflated tire will cause some handling problems.

Have you weighed the coach and set the tires to the pressure recommended by the tire maker for the tires that are on it now?

^^^^
What Arch said-> : When I had a Bounder, handling was pretty poor (bouncy, especially, but squirrely too) until I discovered (thanks to folks here) that inflating to the tire manufacturer's chart made a giant difference. Of course it still had some sensitivity to winds and passing trucks due to the long rear overhand and relatively high CG (center of gravity), but it became mostly a pleasure to drive instead of a chore.

I have an article in the RVForum Library that I wrote many years ago. It's titled Motorhome Handling Primer and pertains mostly to a gas-chassis like the F53.

I'd start by getting it weighed and optimizing the tire pressure for the actual loaded weight (as you would travel with it). Since its older and new to you, a front end alignment is the next step, just to make sure everything is in spec.  Then the first priority for any heavy duty leaf spring suspension is the addition of a track bar (panhard rod) to reduce the sideways shifting that is endemic to it. The Davis TruTrak front track bar by Roadmaster is a good choice, but the Henderson Supersteer rear track bar is an equally good unit. Either one will do a lot of reduce wandering steering.

Larry N. said:
          ^^^^
What Arch said-> : When I had a Bounder, handling was pretty poor (bouncy, especially, but squirrely too) until I discovered (thanks to folks here) that inflating to the tire manufacturer's chart made a giant difference. Of course it still had some sensitivity to winds and passing trucks due to the long rear overhand and relatively high CG (center of gravity), but it became mostly a pleasure to drive instead of a chore.

As usual Larry and Gary - Spot ON with your advice.

My MH used to drive like a truck until I got 4-corner weight and manufacturer's RV inflation psi. Now, it drives like a truck - but it only takes two fingers and the ride is softer.

Domo said:
As usual Larry and Gary - Spot ON with your advice.

My MH used to drive like a truck until I got 4-corner weight and manufacturer's RV inflation psi. Now, it drives like a truck - but it only takes two fingers and the ride is softer.
Worked for my motorhome too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom