Comments on our short list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be interesting to know just how many folks made a decision based on flawed information from RVCG to find out after they made the purchase the information they got was in fact in error or just plain incorrect.  It could be pretty upsetting if for example the weight carrying capacity of a particular coach was much less than what information you paid for stated it was.  The RVCG information had no effect on our decisions since I had recognized what I considered its inadequacies and discregarded the information.    If I had paid for that information I would have really been an unhappy camper.

In our case, the RVCG grossly understated the carrying capacity of the coach and as a result, did not recommend it for fulltiming.  In fact, the CC was not huge but certainly sufficient for our purpose, now almost 9 years of fulltiming in it.  If we had relied on their numbers we would have passed on what turned out to be a very good coach for our purposes.

That is the other part I was wondering just how many folks might have passed buying a perfectly good coach based on flawed info and maybe even got into a bad coach as a result. 

Hi There,

I hope you had fun looking at all the different brands at the RV show.  I just wanted to let you know that yes Tiffin is mentioned as being a great product but thought I would let you know that we bought a new 2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500DS and we have had absolutely no troubles with the exception of having loose screws under the dash but I can't say I blame the manufacturer on this as we were travelling on what had to be the worst road in Quebec and it was probably the road that caused the screws to come loose.  We are not fulltimers but we have used it on long journeys and it was a great purchase for what we wanted and had all the features that we needed without going broke to buy it.

Good Luck with your decision....

Ron is infamous for bad-mouthing the RVCG. He is in NO way an expert on RV's.

We now know why he bad-mouths the only unbiased source of information on RVs!!  His RV is not rated well in the RVCG  CD.  He payed for a poorly rated RV and just does not want to face up to the truth!!

The RVCG is not perfect (what is?) but they are a great help ... Without their information I would have made a big mistake and spent a lot more money.

If you do not like to use the RVCG, then don't use it.  A great many people think highly of the RVCG.

Ron's opinion is as valid as yours, Jack.

As for RVCG, they may indeed be unbiased but they are also unqualified to make the sort of pronouncements they make. That doesn't mean their opinions are wrong, but is important to remember that they are just opinions. As is anything I say here...

I'll take Ron as an Expert long before some of the mouthers condemming.

I have been on Ron's coach on numerous occasions.  It looks very first rate to me.  I also know Ron is a careful shopper.  I am surprised if RVCG did not give a high rating to that coach.

What does the RVCG do to rate rv's?

All their statistices begin with the literature on each model from the manufacturer. This compares 'apple' to 'apple.'

* to get payload capacity they take the GVWR figure posted in the rv, fill the coach with fuel and water and the holding tanks. What is left between the GVWR is the available payload. Sometimes it's enught for their 'weekender' or' vacationer' classification but not to their standard for 'snowbird' or 'fulltime.' Sometime the payload as weighed is a negative ammount.

* They use the standard featurs advertised in the literature to halep in classifying as to recommended clase for useage.

* To apply their wheelbase formula for comparing to therir minimum 55% ration they use those same stastistics.

* The only data they have to use as to long term durability are the comments of RV owners. The compare the nomber of complaints and kudos to the number sold.

* From my analysis, the one subjective area is in the are comparing cost to value. The last time I knew of real stats regarding the Blue Bird Wanderlodge was 'in '97. At that time, all but 7 BB's erver sold were still on the road.  However, the upfront cost is very high and they depreciate a lot of the cost of purchase in ten years. The downgrade BB on this basis. For me, a rig that has 1m potential miles or more that will still be running strong, has payload and a solid steel body might well be worth the depreciation hit.

The caveat is always true. manf change their models to sell more or trim costs during the model year so each rig one might consider has to be retested for payload, length and features, e.c.t., to reach a more accurat analysis. The advantage is that one goes into the study with more awareness of critera to measure and test. For this task the RVCG has the only database available as a benchmark.

I personally will use every tool available to me to look at the product I'm about to invest in. That includes this forum, the RVCG and anything else I can find!   

It is IMHO the RVCG ratings amount to nothing more than speculation based on a few individuals whims, likes and dislikes.  To my knowledge there is no actual testing, qualified engineering evaluation/research, or meaningfull research done on the information provided to them by manufacturers responding to their requests.  I highly suspect that manufacturers that choose not to respond or take part in the RVCG activities will receive a less than desireable rating. Thankfully we did have an opportunity to review the RVCG information and based on that review we felt we seen it for what it is and chose not to use it  as a resource since I felt the information to be very inadequate with the potential to lead some astray when shopping for a new coach.  In our case had we relied on the RVCG information we might have missed out on getting the excellent coach we now enjoy and have done so since August of 1998.  While some folks feel the RVCG information is useful and worthwhile it is our opinion it is very misleading.  Some folk recommend using the RVCG information. However,  I recommend against using it especially as a sole source.  It comes down to personal choices.  It is my humble opinion that there is much more accurate and useful information right here on this forum that is being provided by members that actually have real first hand experience with various RV/s.

Now am I going to degrade, criticize, or flame those that who happen to disagree with my opinion and feel the RVCG information is useful? Definitely not.  Myself and other members are more mature and above such actions.  Those that disagree with me have a right to their opinions just as I have a right to my opinions based on my evaluation and experience. 

I stand by my recommendation not to rely on information provided by the RVCG. I also recommend that  if one chooses to use the RVCG information as a resource they be aware of its limitations and possible inaccuracies and that they not use it as a sole or stand alone resource for making decisions on which RV to buy.

Please note that the above are only my opinions based on my evaluations and experience and do not reflect the opinions of the RV Forum as a whole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom