Convert RV Trailer Heat From Furnace To Boiler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougMorford

My RV, like many, has a central air propane furnace. These furnaces have two problems that make them pretty much garbage for boondocking: 1) the heat exchanger it uses to transfer heat from the combusting propane to the cabin air is extremely inefficient. I think that has mostly to do with it being difficult to transfer heat to air without a lot of surface area.  But, the designers of these furnaces put nearly zero thought into the heat exchanger, so the problem is really bad.  2) The furnace uses a 12 volt blower in its operation. This blower realistically gives me only one night of reliable heating before it has drained my battery. I will be installing a second battery and buying a generator for recharging, but it's not the answer for elk hunting trips that last weeks in freezing temps. I need a heating system that uses preferably no electricity, propane efficiently, and operates on a thermostat. I need to be able to leave the trailer unattended for a few days at a time and feel confident that my water system won't freeze.  I also want the propane heater to be externally vented because i like being alive, and it's difficult to dry my clothes in 100% humidity. 

My idea:
Use a dometic RV hot water heater as a boiler:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TR52GBU/?tag=hearthamazon-20

and old cast iron radiator.

I already have this same water heater for domestic hot water, and it works great. Most importantly it uses zero electricity aside from lighting the flame.

The output from the top of the heater tank would make a short run of a couple feet to the top of a cast iron radiator sitting right next to the water heater, and then the outlet at the bottom of the radiator would feed back to the bottom of the heater. The inlet to the radiator would be controlled by a TRV.  A TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) is an adjustable mechanical water valve that opens and closes incrementally based on room temp.  A pump would not be needed with such a short run; the heat differential would create a strong flow to and from the radiator and heater. The system would be filled with antifreeze to avoid having to winterize it.  A pressure tank would be plumbed in line to deal with pressure in the sealed system, and the pressure relief valve on the water heater would be sufficient for safety as far as pressure is concerned.

I had originally thought that I would install a small wood or pellet stove to deal with electrical usage and humidity issues.  Those options aren't reliable enough though since I want to keep my water system going late into the fall, and be able to leave the trailer unattended for a few days at a time.  The big hydronic systems for rv's sounded enticing, but they are expensive and still use electricity.  A hot water heater is $400, the TRV and all the plumbing will probably be $50, and the radiator can be found for cheap or for free.  I'm hoping it will be like having a little stove in the camper, without the mess and hassle. 

Please let me know if anyone sees problems here.

Doug

Attachments

• 73497889_2735699943323202_3566774488819302400_n.jpg
    73497889_2735699943323202_3566774488819302400_n.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 53
I love the concept!  By far the heater is the biggest draw on the batteries when off the grid camping and frustrates me to no end.  On a prior rig and pondered but never executed tapping into the existing hot water system for something similar but never did execute on that plan.  I like this better.

I don't know enough to know if the flow will happen as you describe between the HWH and radiator....other than that it seems like a solid plan to me.

I thought hard about using the existing water heater.  I think it could be done that way, but i don't like the idea of having to drain the radiator during the winter.  It doesn't allow adding antifreeze to the heating system.  I hope it works great, because I think the dometic furnace is a total pos.

You would need a pump in a system like this for two reasons:  1)  the distance you're piping the water creates too much resistance.  But even then, it's going to flow. People tend to underestimate how powerfully hot water rises and cold water sinks.  2)  More importantly if there are dips and rises in your piping, the hot water will get trapped like a bubble.  It's kind of like syphoning water from a bucket using a hose.  If you're trying to get over the top of the bucket you have to help it get started.  But if you're just going straight from the bottom of the bucket through a hole, that bucket is going to drain fast without any help.

The other thing I just thought about - - on my rig it blows heat down into the belly to protect the water systems from freezing. 

I have seen a couple of systems where someone did something similar, using the RV propane water heater with a recirculating pump and a water to water heat exchanger to build an in floor heated floor system using PEX tubing.

This system used plywood floors in a motorhome, which may be thicker than in a trailer, routered out grooves for the 3/8 inch PEX tubing throughout the coach, then covered with a laminate floor material. 

p.s. here is a photo of one guys effort to do this

Attachments

• floor-heat.jpg
    floor-heat.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 46
Others have mentioned that as well.  On my trailer, which is only a 19' mind you, all the fresh water plumbing is above the subfloor inside the cabinets.  It's not a problem for me, and I intent to cut vents in the cabinetry to allow warm air to go where it needs to.  I'm not too familiar with the different ways trailers are made, but it seems like faulty design to me to have plumbing run in the belly.  Not only does that make them prone to freezing, but it makes repairs a major headache.  It wouldn't be the first stupid design I've seen on an rv though. My drain lines run inside the cabin as well, and then drop straight down into the grey tank.  The black and grey tanks are exposed and will freeze even if the stock furnace were to be used.  My solution to that is to add whatever amount of antifreeze to the waste tanks that is needed to keep them from freezing.  I don't think it will take much as long as I'm not using the water system into the ass crack of winter.

The in floor is the way to go, especially in homes.  Looks like a lot of work though, and the pump would add electricity into the equation again.

It really bothers me that in general, rv's are designed with the assumption that you'll be plugged into 110.  What are they thinking?

True, but I suspect the circulating pump would draw less power than the 12VDC blower on a typical Suburban furnace.

That is likely.  It would be difficult come up with a system that draws as much current as those furnaces.  Water holds a lot more energy than air so you're going to need to move a lot less of it, which is an energy savings.

We mostly boondock in our 43 foot coach, and we use a Big Buddy catalytic heater as our primary heater. We'll fire up the Aqua Hot system to quickly warm up the coach on a cold morning (takes about 10 minutes) but after it's warm, the Big Buddy will keep it that way - silently, with no drain on the batteries.

The Big Buddy (and others like it) were designed for indoor use. I doubt you'd be able to find even a single example, worldwide, of someone getting sickened or much less killed by one. With oxygen sensors, tilt switches and extremely low CO emissions, it's hard to find fault with their safety record.

Unfortunately for your needs, the Big Buddy isn't externally vented, but we've never had even a hint of a condensation problem, because we leave our vents open. The Big Buddy has up to 18,000 btu, and a six volt internal fan to move the heat around. Compared to a typical RV furnace, it only sips propane and uses no RV battery power.

Kev

I won't discount that the heater buddy's are great. And I don't doubt that they are fairly safe. It's hard to tell if it's the heater causing the condensation, or if it's the dripping wet clothes I'm trying to try. Probably both. The main problem I have with it is it doesn't let me use my plumbing when it's cold out because it doesn't have a thermostat. I would stick with the buddy if it weren't for that.

It really bothers me that in general, rv's are designed with the assumption that you'll be plugged into 110.  What are they thinking?
I don't think that's really the case - they wouldn't even have LP appliances if that were the assumption.  Mostly they are just designed to be cheap, without any effort toward high efficiency, yet still paying lip-service to off-grid use.  It's sufficient for the vast majority of campers, who typically stay in parks (with or without power) in fair weather and stay a couple days. The RV industry simply doesn't invest money to provide products beyond the needs of the 80th percentile of campers.  The fact is, big tvs and fancy paint jobs attract a lot more buyers than efficient furnaces and best insulation.

The appliances and systems provided for on-grid use aren't any better in terms of efficiency or effectiveness. They just get along a little better cause the energy budget is higher. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I don't think that's really the case - they wouldn't even have LP appliances if that were the assumption.  Mostly they are just designed to be cheap, without any effort toward high efficiency, yet still paying lip-service to off-grid use.  It's sufficient for the vast majority of campers, who typically stay in parks (with or without power) in fair weather and stay a couple days. The RV industry simply doesn't invest money to provide products beyond the needs of the 80th percentile of campers.  The fact is, big tvs and fancy paint jobs attract a lot more buyers than efficient furnaces and best insulation.

The appliances and systems provided for on-grid use aren't any better in terms of efficiency or effectiveness. They just get along a little better cause the energy budget is higher.

That's probably spot on.  It's just really striking to me that there isn't an electrically efficient heating system even available.  That 80 percentile is probably more like 99.  I suppose I can't blame the rv industry for the downfalls of our society.

I put shelves in my rv where they intended a tv to go.  I'll never understand why someone would want to watch tv on vacation.  It's specifically what should not be done on vacation.

TV's can be good on extended trips, I am on a month long trip in my coach right now, been dry camping the last 4 nights, and plan to for the next 4-5, and have already turned on my TV twice since I started this trip 2.5 weeks ago.  So I understand your concerns, about efficiency, in my case I have 400 watts worth of solar panels on the roof, so that really helps though I wish I had more.

Ike

Our RV has two TV's with satellite service and streaming devices, two cell based WiFi Internet sources, a DVD player, and we have three laptops, two tablets, and three cell phones. We don't "camp" for a week or weekend now and then, we "RV" 365 days a year. This is our home and as such it has all the comforts that we want. The old "Different strokes..." saying really does apply to RV owners...

NY_Dutch said:
Our RV has two TV's with satellite service and streaming devices, two cell based WiFi Internet sources, a DVD player, and we have three laptops, two tablets, and three cell phones. We don't "camp" for a week or weekend now and then, we "RV" 365 days a year. This is our home and as such it has all the comforts that we want. The old "Different strokes..." saying really does apply to RV owners...

You're right, in that case it's probably not out of place.  Totally different case though.  I've determined that TV has no place in my life in general though.  Scourge of our society imho.

DougMorford said:
You're right, in that case it's probably not out of place.  Totally different case though.  I've determined that TV has no place in my life in general though.  Scourge of our society imho.

When I want to "camp", I grab my backpack and head into the woods for awhile. No RV's there... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom