Converter 8955pec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo100

Question for the electricians

My power converter / distribution panel has the converter wired into the same breaker (15 Amps) as the 3 GFCI outlets.

Is this safe?

Attachments

• panel cover.jpg
    panel cover.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 12
It's ok from a safety point, but I would prefer the convertor to be on its own breaker. If using the outlets for say a blow dryer and a coffee pot and an overload occurs, you trip the breaker and lose your convertor too.

I don't think safe was the right word to use..But as stated if we overload the circuit we lose the converter. Which means all the lights

I believe I have a blank spot on the panel. If so ..It may be time to go shopping for another breaker.

Thanks

Actually you don't lose the lights in that case, but everything 12v switches to battery power and you  may not even be aware that it happened until the lights get dim or the fridge sets a Low DC voltage fault.

Yet another case where the RV manufacturer chose to simplify/cheapen the design & assembly process without regard to future impact on the owner.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Actually you don't lose the lights in that case, but everything 12v switches to battery power and you  may not even be aware that it happened until the lights get dim or the fridge sets a Low DC voltage fault.

Yet another case where the RV manufacturer chose to simplify/cheapen the design & assembly process without regard to future impact on the owner.

And once again...You are correct...Thanks Mr Wizard!....If I had thought that though I would of realized that....when I turned off the breaker yesterday and the lights stayed on...duh

And your point is well taken regarding a tripped breaker going unnoticed until it's too late.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom