Converter Issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nljma

I think I have a converter charger issue but so far no one has been able to find it. After period of time when connected to 120 V power the 12 V lights dim. This can take from one day to three days. I also have a problem with some power adapters burn out when plugged in to the 120 V. Today I noticed that when I plugged in the adapter for my laptop, the 12 V batteries got brighter. That is counterintuitive to me. I tried it four times. Same results each time. This is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I feel that it’s probably The converter. The manufacturer has told me that the converter could not cause power adapter to burn out that’s plugged into the 120 V system. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Is your rig a 30 or 50 amp.. Reason for asking
on a 50 amp rig there are two legs and a nutral (we shall. for the moment ignore the safety ground)

now IN my day Teetertotters were nothing more than a boare balanced on a pipe frame with seats and handles (Well kind of a seat) on each end. if, To borrow a character from Bill Cosby "Fat Albert" got on one end and (To borrow another character from anoter place) Tiny time on the other Poor Time got launched into space... Today they have springs so you can teeter or totter all by yourself

Well a 50 amp rv is kind of like that on a 50 amp shore outlet.. The "Springs" are the neutral lead.

The Neutral make sure that if a big current item.. Like Master Albert, is on one leg while the other is lightly loaded by Master Tim. The Neutral "Balances" it out so they can have fun (it all works)

But if for any reason the neutral is "Broken" (OPEN is the term we use or high resistance (bad connection) then as one leg loads down the voltage on that leg goes down and the other leg goes up... Just like the old days when i was a kid.

Your volt meter is your frind
in this case measure at the breaker box (remove front cover DANGER Voltage and current inside that box can do serious damage do not touch metal inside the box or the metal box itself if it's metal.

Place one probe (DO NOT TOUCH METAL PART) on the bus bar with the white wires
The other to the black wires/screws on the two main breakers.
120/120 good 130/110 not good at all (or the other way around)
IF plugging something in "Tetters" the numbers Not good.
Contact park management asap

NOTE the problem may be theirs or yorus but their tech can help by figuring that out

Made mistake and ended up just sending you a reply back. I have a 50 amp circuit. I’m sure it’s not the RV park because I have a surge protector that detects a problem with neutral. And it’s happened at multiple places. What you’re describing certainly sounds plausible. I have a voltmeter but I am reluctant to attempt to check the circuits myself. I have a RV mechanic that I will ask to do that. Thank you for your reply and suggestion. Much appreciated.

Do not be Sure the surge pickes up the park side issue. But run the test at the breaker box anyway.

Then work your way back
I've had wires come loose in the RV and in the Cord

Your surge protector may or may not detect a problem with the neutral - depends on the specific protector device and the nature of the problem. And the manufacturer is correct - a faulty converter can't affect the 120v power or damage those power modules.

Some of your symptoms sound very much like a poor or intermittent 50A neutral, which could be a problem in your shore power cord or breaker panel. Please tell us what brand/model of surge protector device you have and whether it is located at the end of the shore cord where it plugs to the campsite power or hard-wired at the RV end.

Back
Top Bottom