Converter Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeverden

I have the original 55 amp converter in my 99 fourwinds windsport 30Q.  I have gone through 3 batteries in 2 years.
They are boiling over due to me leaving the unit plugged in during the Winter.  I no longer leave it plugged in.
Anyway - I am wanting to replace the converter with a 3 stage converter.

The unit is a 30 amp unit - can I replace the 55 amp converter with a Progressive Dynamics 80 amp PD9280

or will this be too big?

Please respond

Jason :)

Just a few quick thoughts..  The wiring in your original was designed on purpose.  I would suggest you not to exceed the specs by too much.  A 45 amp, max 60 amp charger should be just fine.

The advantages of an 80 amp unit will not be significant to be important in your case.

Stay on the safe level and get the 3-stage unit as mentioned.. 45 0r max 60.

Another thing to consider is the physical size..you may not have room for a larger unit.

JMHO.. 

ok, well that makes sense - Since I have a 55 in there now a 65 should be better - I now have 3- 12 volt house batteries.
I would imagine the 65 would charge them up faster as well.

The unit came with 2 house batteries installed

Thanks for the response

Jason

Hi Jason. The high amp chargers will only be needed if you need a super-charge when your batteries are nearly dead. Under normal conditions the amperage will be very low as the 3-stage charger will limit the charging current to a safe level as the batteries near  their top level charge. The need for 80 amp is only required if you are a very heavy amp user and the batteries need a super boost.

My problem is we dry camp alot in the summer at provincial parks.  So after a few days...  The batteries are down to half and we have to run the generator for an hour per day to keep up.
You think that the bigger amps will assist in getting more power to the batteries in a shorter period of time?

Jason

Not really, you will get max amperage when batteries are really low.  After that the current tapers of to finish the charging process.  1 hour of charging is not really enough to fully charge the batteries... think 4 - 8 hours.

All this can be argued to a degree, but I guess you get the idea.

Perhaps others will chime in.

Stick close to the original specs - you have little, if anything, to gain from going much above 55 amps. The 65 amp unit sounds like a good choice.  I'm guessing you have one or two, modest size batteries, so they aren't going to take a lot of amps of charge under most any condition except totally dead. It probably won't actually exceed 35-40A, and if it does, only for a couple minutes before it drops to a lower rate. It's the just nature of batteries.

As Carson says..... but that max amperage is largely controlled by the battery bank itself by the resistance it provides to the converter. Having a charger capable of a much  higher output than needed will not help but would simply be a waste of money. Bigger is not always better!!! BUT.... make sure the wiring size is adequate for the higher output should you decide to go bigger.

Only an hour a day is probably no where near what the battery bank needs to be charged fully if it was deeply discharged to start with. Long and slow is the rule!!!

You cannot force charge batteries faster than they will accept the charge without damaging them. Warping the cases and plates by the excessive heat generated, boiling off the electrolyte, fires, and explosions have been known to happen by doing so.

Thanks guys - good tips - I think I will go with the 65 amp unit - up from the old 55amp - Simply because I have 3 batteries in the house compartment.

Unfortunately I think the converter has killed all 3 of my batteries - as they were full last week - yesterday they were dead left plugged in last night and now full again.

I will get them tested and if they are all bad - I am going to switch to 2 6 volt batteries instead.

I hear they are better for keeping a charge longer.

Thanks again..

Jason

I have yet to hear a complaint concerning Progressive Dynamics converters. Part of this equation is monitoring state of charge of your batteries and if you want them to live a long and happy life this means not going below 50% SOC and getting them up to 100% SOC with some regularity and the only way you will know for sure is with an effective battery monitor, My suggestion a Trimetric or Victron they read all of the current going into and coming out of your batteries.

I ended going with a 3 stage 55amp converter - it works great...  Now I just have to leave it plugged in and see if my batteries are toast from the old convertor frying them.

It was as easy as changing a light bulb.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom