Converting the power inlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBoe

Hi folks, I'm just starting a remodel of my 29' Dutchmen Class C. It has a 7 inch square hatch for the power, with the cord coiled inside. Of course, the mice consider this the front door. I'm looking to mount a twist-lock inlet instead and have an externally-connected cord. Does anyone have any nice-looking ways to cover the old hatch with a panel that has a cutout for the new inlet?
Thanks,
-Chuck

Easy depending on if it's a 30 or 50 amp rig.. here's how.
First decide where you want the inlet
To the right, left, above or below, or in the door itself (I suggest not in the door) and make sure it's safe to drill a hole there..

Now to your RV dealer or AMAZON for.. I'll use 30 amp parts for this
One of these outlets
Or one like it, need not be the exact make/model/store I found with Google.
And one of the following Inlets (your pick and again not a recommendation as to specific make or dealer)
This one on Amazon

Or

This one also on Amazon

or If you want a kit

This one has both inlet and outlet

Connections are more or less obvious. Save for the Green (Ground) wire. there is a metal piece on the SIDE of the plug.. that's the Ground.

Thank you, John. Those look like options I had been considering, so it's good to know that I'm on the right track. My main concern is about covering or infilling the 7" opening. The door is far too flimsy to mount anything in. I am looking for a cover that will look good on the outside of the rig, seal the old door gap, and be a sturdy place to mount the new inlet.
-Chuck

Following up to report what I found. Kyle switchplates makes a set of metal blanks that are large enough to cover this opening and can be weatherproofed around the edges. I bought one to cover the old electrical exit, and a larger one to cover an old exterior entertainment system in the wall that I no longer wanted. They're a nice anodized white that matches the RV exterior perfectly. I'd recommend them to anyone who has a similar need. Kyle Switch Plates

Personally I would go get a piece of 10ga sheet metal about an inch bigger than the existing hole. Drill and mount a quick disconnect to this and after properly sealing the edges and painting it screw it over the existing hole.

Back
Top Bottom