Covid Lateral Flow Tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
In the UK we can get free over the counter at home lateral flow self test kits. Each kit has 7 tests in it.

I will be bringing some with me but if we run out, is this something you can buy from a pharmacy in the US or does the pharmacy need to perform the test?

Thanks

This is the first I have seen of home covid testing in the US, in my area Covid testing is widely available, even Walgreens does it at the pharmacy drive through window, though they do require an appointment. The problem here is how long it takes to get results, with 2 to 5 days being common.

Jackie, we have similar test kits here in Canada, and they are presently widely being used in lower level schools where vaccines are not yet available for anyone under 12 years of age.

Ed

The home test kits are not for any evidential use, more for doing due diligence before meeting friends. We are also bringing some, but may need more so am also interested in whether they are available in the US.

Last edited:
We just bought a home test kit at Walgreens that contained two tests. It was $23. That was here in central California.

Wife did one test so far showed her as being good.

She's had two Moderna shots and I just got my third Pfizer shot.

I'm guessing the home tests don't count in cases one needs to provide evidence of a negative test.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
If needed we would do an official one. It's as Tony says, for meeting vulnerable friends so we have some confidence we aren't passing anything on.

I am interested in the cost of these in the UK. I figure it will probably be like the rest of US medical - lots more expensive here.

In Scotland they are currently free and you get 2 packs of 7 tests. There is an expectation that you do a test a few times a week and submit results.

We get a PCR test to come to the US and have to pay £80 ($110) for it, I believe we could have just had a lateral flow done with a company at £35 ($48) but wanted to get the better test just in case. When we come back we need to test on day 2 and in Scotland currently it's a PCR test at £68 or ($93). That may not change to mimic the lateral flow requirements in England. And that's if doubly vaccinated.

Last edited:
The free tests are something I haven’t seen here, but the cost of a PCR test varies widely. Those who wanted to go to Canada had to pay $200 - small towns with not many options and a small testing window. Sigh.

Our local clinic charges $35 for a "drive-by" with results within a few hours. You can then request a copy, and come by to pick it up.
If you don't mind waiting, they will do a drive-by swab for no charge, and you will get the results within a weak.

That seems to be the way all the clinics in NE Colorado are handling the testing.
CVS sells self-test two-packs for 24 bucks.

In our latest drive-by, yesterday, Margo tested Positive. She was never vax'd. due to advise from her Cardiac Doc.
We get to see how the monoclonal Antibodies work, now.

Our local clinic charges $35 for a "drive-by" with results within a few hours. You can then request a copy, and come by to pick it up.
If you don't mind waiting, they will do a drive-by swab for no charge, and you will get the results within a weak.

That seems to be the way all the clinics in NE Colorado are handling the testing.
CVS sells self-test two-packs for 24 bucks.

In our latest drive-by, yesterday, Margo tested Positive. She was never vax'd. due to advise from her Cardiac Doc.
We get to see how the monoclonal Antibodies work, now.
Hope she's OK.

I'm not sure on the accuracy, not as good as PCR tests. But you get results in 10 mins. There's two in the box so you can take two tests in 24 hours to increase the accuracy.

My wife is fully vaccinated but had a fever and we wanted to be sure. I've been double vaccinated and boosted, too.

Both her tests came back negative and she's not had any other symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom