cpap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have the proper adapter, yes. Most require 120VAC so either the adapter or the machine would need a built in inverter. We use an external inverter but we also need to ensure the battery is kept charged, we ran into problems once. The charge fuse in the truck had blown.

Mine is actually a 12 volt unit built has a adapter built into the power cord which converts 110 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC so all I would need would be is a 12 volt cord with a cigarette plug on the end or I could wire it direct to a battery.

I have had the same issue for my CPAP.  In my RV the inverter provides 120V to only a few outlets. One is located near the copilot seat (not a good place to sleep). The others are to the front TV and to the bedroom TV.  I have planned to put an extension cord into this outlet for the bedroom TV and try it one of these days to see how much the CPAP depletes the battery. The brick is a surprisingly high 90watts at 120 VAC.  If it really draws that much power, and is not simply overrated, I think it is going to drain my 2 house batteries before the night is out.  Frankly I have yet to figure out how many amp hours those wet batteries are rated to supply. Perhaps somebody else will chime in with that answer. We have many people who have figured this out in detail to support their boondocking activities and solar charging systems. If there were a way to run 12 volts directly into my Remed it would be far more efficient than having to first invert this to 120 and then go back to run internal circuitry and blowers.

dandelion said:
My wife and I both use cpaps.  Can we run them off of the 12 volt battery?
Look closely at the documentation which came with your CPAP to see if it powered by 12V DC and has a power cord with a small box in the cord which converts the 120V to 12V DC. 

Also you might check with the CPAP mfg to see if they have a auto cigarette lighter adapter.

My wife used a Respronics CPAP which is powered by 12V.  We bought their 12V adapter to use in the RV.  It is just a cigarette lighter plug on one end and the correct plug for the CPAP on the other end.

The CPAP only pulls about 0.3 amps. 

HOWEVER, if she turns on the humidifier heater the current jumps to 3-6 amps.  That will pretty well drain a 12V battery overnight. 

So leave the heater off if you are going to use it on battery. 

My Resmed CPAP has an input voltage of 24v.  That being said, I went to a medical supply company that sells CPAPs and accessories. They stocked and I purchased a 12v to 24v inverter for my unit which is much more efficient than inverting from 12 to 120v and then back down to 24v.  I ran a cig lighter cord into the bedroom and can run mine (CPAP) off 12v without issue.  My single 12v battery is up to the task and my solar panels recharge the battery during the day when I'm boondocking!

Theboomanchu said:
My Resmed CPAP has an input voltage of 24v.  That being said, I went to a medical supply company that sells CPAPs and accessories. They stocked and I purchased a 12v to 24v inverter for my unit which is much more efficient than inverting from 12 to 120v and then back down to 24v.  I ran a cig lighter cord into the bedroom and can run mine (CPAP) off 12v without issue.  My single 12v battery is up to the task and my solar panels recharge the battery during the day when I'm boondocking!

Thanks for this tip.  I found this one on line. Or I could use this with the battery booster I already own similar to the one suggested by DJStarr.

http://www.1800cpap.com/respironics-12v-dc-power-cord-shielded-6ft.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNvJqM-C1QIVzlt-Ch1oTgcTEAQYAyABEgLnKfD_BwE

Rene T said:
Mine is actually a 12 volt unit built has a adapter built into the power cord which converts 110 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC so all I would need would be is a 12 volt cord with a cigarette plug on the end or I could wire it direct to a battery.

Ditto. I believe mine is a Respironics.
I was able to find the 12v power cord adapter with the cigarette plug, and wired an outlet next to my bed.
I found a 12v outlet that has a cigarette plug as well as a couple of USB outlets so can keep my cell phone charged as well.

So far have only slept three nights using only 12v for the CPAP with humidifier since I installed the two 6 volt batteries. Still had some juice left after the third night.

When I had the Roll a Home tent trailer I carried the Die Hard that DJStarr mentions. That would last me two nights without the humidifier.

I like my Die Hard because it serves many purposes.  I can run my CPAP at home when the power goes out (and lower my adjustable bed).  I can power other devices and charge cells camping, or at home in a power failure.  It will jump your tow vehicle when DW leaves the lights on.  It can even fill your tires.  Dang, I should get a job for SEARS.  Maybe they wouldn't be filing bankruptcy if so...

DJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom