Cracked fifth wheel frames due to rough roads, a concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I've run across comments here and there about adding an air ride pin such as a Lippert Trailair, to improve the ride in the truck. But other comments have eluded to protecting the FW frame against cracking due to jolts from the truck. I've run across some pretty rough spots in my current rig (motorhome), even bottoming the front suspension once. This wasn't due to aggressive driving as I don't do that, sometimes roads can be rough and you don't get an early warning.

So with this in mind, when you hit one of these spots, say a chuck hole deep enough you're surprised you didn't blow a tire, is cracking the FW frame a concern? Have you heard about it happening? OR are they pretty well built and the air ride pins are primarily to improve ride?

A concern? Of course. A frequent problem? Hardly!  There have been a few rigs that seem more prone to frame damage, usually where the 5W cantilevers at the front.  I haven't heard of any lately, but if buying an older model its something to be aware of.  Would a Trailerair or similar prevent that?  I doubt it, but it sure doesn't hurt!  5W frame cracks, however, develop over time and probably from constant stress rather than one specific event.  There is a huge lever action where the front overhang joins the main body and its being flexed every moment the trailer is hitched up.

Here is what happened to one RVer with a fifth wheel.

http://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdreams_journal/2017/05/update-on-our-rig-sevierville-tn.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom