CREDIT CARD FUELING SCARE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jane Ann

Yikes . . . I just returned from 3 weeks in Florida, having made many stops for diesel fuel. A lot of the truck stops require that they "hold" your credit card while fueling. Several days after returning home, I received a new American Express card delivered by UPS. I called for an explanation, and they said that someone tried to charge using my account number (without physically having the card). Fortunately, it was not allowed to happen - the credit card company caught it. They suggested that "someone" likely copied the number on the credit card. Not sure what the answer is . . . just a head's up!

Sounds like a good case for only patronizing pay-at-the-pump stations.    The other kind should be a dying breed by now.

Pay at the pump stations in Florida and elsewhere are equally dangerous.  Some pumps have card readers installed which copy the credit card information which is then used by thieves.

Such a warnings has been issued several times in Florida, and I was a victim of this kind of activity at a Circle K in Titusville.

Fortunately my credit card company caught it as well!

Pay at the pump stations in Florida and elsewhere are equally dangerous.  Some pumps have card readers installed which copy the credit card information which is then used by thieves.
That takes ingenuity.  Copying a card number and security code by a station attendent is easy enough for a moron to master.  Since ingenious thieves are vastly outnumbered by moronic thieves, go with the way that requires ingenuity to beat.

Your experience is also the reason not to use debit cards at a gas station.  Credit card fraud puts the bank on the hook for most of the damage.  Debit card fraud puts you on the hook.  Guard those debit cards and passwords!

One of my Troopers, back when I dispatched police for a living, rented a car.  City Bank called her after a bit to ask if she had been making a bunch of phone/interenet purchases (She had not)

So, when the UPS driver delivered the goods, he had a partner (Said trooper in a UPS uniform)

Suspect signed for the goods, and she produced the handcuffs.  Off they went to the gray bar hotel.

Seems the suspect's brother worked for the auto rental place, he copied her card info from the imprint she had to leave to rent the car

Of course,,, The family that stays together stays together and both brothers are staying together now.. They get to share a cell.

Sadly... Not all those stores have such a happy ending

It is good your credit card company caught it

Back
Top Bottom