Crossing into Canada with DUI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but seriously,

For any emergency medical needs,  You don't need insurance..or to be a citizen, at least here in California.  No hospital ER can ever turn you away if you need emergency medical services. It's the law.

That is a big reason why hospitals are losing money... thus driving up the costs for the 'insured' patients just to stay open.  ( so, who really pays for all those 'anchor babies' ?  :) )

TonyDtorch said:
but seriously,

For any emergency medical needs,  You don't need insurance..or to be a citizen, at least here in California.  No hospital ER can ever turn you away if you need emergency medical services. It's the law.

That is a big reason why hospitals are losing money... thus driving up the costs for the 'insured' patients just to stay open.  ( so, who really pays for all those 'anchor babies' ?  :) )

We pay for the anchor babies. But lumped in with that term are the birth tourism from countries like China. In order to rid us of these types of services we would have to rescind the 14th amendment. Not an easy task. "Anchor babies" and birth tourism costs taxpayers about $6b per year. The uninsured cost us about $200b per year.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is an act of the United States Congress, passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospital Emergency Departments that accept payments from Medicare to provide an appropriate medical screening examination (MSE) to anyone seeking treatment for a medical condition, regardless of citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay. Participating hospitals may not transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment except with the informed consent or stabilization of the patient or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment.[1]

it's not just the baby that costs us.....you are forgetting cost of all the public services for the whole family of the anchor baby. They get to stay here now.

and the 14th amendment guarantees with the rights of "citizens"... the baby is the only American citizen.  The mother/family will get WIC and or EBT benefits.

TonyDtorch said:
...and the 14th amendment deals with the rights of "citizens"... the baby is the only American citizen.

That was never the intention of the guy who wrote the 14th Amendment, Jacob Howard.

"Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country."

http://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citizenship/original_intent.html

we don't need to 'rescind' or change any laws...we just need to enforce the laws we already have.

What would Canada do ?  ;)

In CA our lawmakers made it illegal to ask for proof of citizenship at voting booths,  they say to vote all you need is a utility bill with your name and CA address and a legal photo ID...

Then, our esteemed lawmakers passed another law allowing "un-documented" immigrants to get a California drivers license.. making our roads much safer.

We're done... :-\.   

TonyDtorch said:
That is a big reason why hospitals are losing money... thus driving up the costs for the 'insured' patients just to stay open.  ( so, who really pays for all those 'anchor babies' ?  :)

Let me guess:  the same people who paid for the 29 stitches you needed when you were uninsured and riding a motorcycle without a helmet?

All the state and federal taxes I've paid over the years should have more than covered all 29 of my no Novocaine stitches. 

I had motorcycle insurance,  I also had a brand new job and thus a health insurance gap in the first days.  and there was no law requiring a helmet.  (it was my sunglasses that cut me ).

You weren't being judgmental ...were you ?  :)

The bottom line is ER's are required to treat you. It could be their requirement is to just stabilize you until they can get you to another facility. I can see this thread morphing into an immigration rant. Maybe we should get back to entering Canada with a DUI on your record. I don't have a DUI or anything else that Canada can construe as an " indictable" offense. So I think I am good to enter w/o too much hassle. And I do want to go but not right now. Too cold.

I agree with OldGator.  Let's get the thread back on topic. Since I enter Canada at least once a year I will take notice on my next trip if I am asked any question along those lines.  But it would seem that a check of every person in the vehicle, not just the driver, would be required to insure no DUIs are allowed in.

Bill

We have an American friend that has lived and worked in Canada for many years. I'll ask her if she knows anything about rules crossing the border.

We would be much better off with the same Canadian immigration rules here in America,  but our sanctuary cities may get really upset.

TonyDtorch said:
We would be much better off with the same the same immigration enforcement rules in America,  but our sanctuary cities would be really upset.

Tony! We're trying to keep this thread on the OP's original track. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here and keep my comments as apolitical as possible. You should do the same.

Sorry, you are right.

Immigration and crossing borders are hot topics,    Living out here in California gets a little frustrating.. ;D

and it's not just a DUI ether.  any Felony is reason for entry denial.

I know a guy that is paying an attorney to petition a court to reduce his 1970 felony possession of Marijuana conviction to a misdemeanor,  so now that he's retired he can see all the beauty of Canada and Alaska in his RV.   

After 911, it was enough to deny him the right to buy a firearm... so now he is worried about it going to Canada.

in about 20 days ... his felony won't be an 'indictable' offence here in CA.

Possession of marijuana is a felony in Canada.  The law is scheduled to change July 1, 2018 but existing convictions will stand and the police and justice system have been instructed to continue to prosecute offenders.  Go figure!

Ed

TonyDtorch said:
You weren't being judgmental ...were you ?  :)

No more than some other people here; it's just more noticeable when you're the one being judge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom