Cruise control question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gyrophoenix

Coach involved: HR Scepter 42DSQ
Smart wheel: Freightliner 18 Inch Smart Steering Wheel

The buttons on the smart wheel were not activating any of the functions. I replaced the main Control Module, which did nothing to improve the situation.

I next replaced the Clock Spring, as I'd been advised that although it was possible the buttons on the Smart Steering Wheel had become defective (no longer making contact), the odds were better that the Clock Spring had become damaged.

After replacing the Clock Spring, I was pleased to see all the functions of the buttons on the right side of the Smart Steering Wheel were now restored. (It's nice to have windshield wipers.)

However, the buttons on the left side, which control the Cruise Control functions, are still not working. When I push the On/Off button, the Cruise indicator light on the dashboard does not light up. I was disappointed....

But... it just occurred to me that perhaps the Cruise Control will only activate when the coach is actually moving, and has reached a minimum speed. I've been parked ever since the Clock Spring repair, and haven't had a chance to drive anywhere. (I also put it into gear with the engine running, without moving, but still had no luck.) I'm hoping there's some sort of interlock or sensor that blocks the Cruise Control from going on unless we're in motion.

Does anyone know if this is the case? Does your Cruise indicator light light up on the dashboard if you press the On button when you're standing still?

Thanks for your help.

I do not now your system but every Cruse I've ever used you get a "Ready" indicator even if dead stopped.. "Engaged" (Or Set or the speed it's set at) only if over 25 or 30 MPH

This system does not have a Ready indicator. When on, the Cruise indicator light displays on the dashboard. Right now it's not lighting up. I'm hoping that once we're moving, the Cruise indicator will display when I push the On button. (Once that occurs, I would expect the indicator light to remain on, even when we're not moving, until the Cruise Off button is pushed.)

Every cruise I have ever used had a minimum speed before it would activate, 20 or 25 mph, although I had one that had to hit 30 before it would set( that was a 70s vintage old style that ran off the engine vacuum lines - non - electric.) And I currently have a 2001 Chevy van that has no On indicator.

FWIW, some years ago my HDT repair shop had a rather new MH working of the smart wheel not not working. They had found the problem. It was the thru-the-firewall connection from the smart wheel to the computers. It looked like it had at least 25-30 prongs, the outside connection had leaked and every one of the connection pins were green with corrosion.
I don't remember the brand of that MH, but that design was poor IMO., it was behind the RF steer tire.
Accessing that firewall connection was difficult, they had to remove the front cap to remove the RF fender panel to get to that connection.
Perhaps unrelated to your issue, but thought I'd mention it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy
Back
Top Bottom