I have a 99 hurricane. The 12volt lights fluctuate when the rv is using either shore power or the generator. When off both, the lights are normal. Would anyone know if I'm correct in assuming the power converter has a problem. Thank you for any help. dj
You are describin what happens when the circuit breaker cycles on and off on the charger line, Possiblity is that the batteries are very low or have one dead cell (shorted) Measure voltage both on converter (Shore powe) and battery (no shore/generator power) and report back
I agree with John. How long do the lights last when on battery only? If they dim fairly quickly, you probably have bad batteries and the converter is desperately trying to get some power into them but encountering overlaods (perhaps a shorted cell). Are these the original batteries? If so at 7+ years they are likely at the end of life.
If you are convinced the batteries are OK, then yes, it's the converter/charger. Your symtoms are not a common converter failure mode, though.
Another possibility is you have an older linear converter like the Magnetek 6300 series. These disconnect most 12 volt loads from the batteries when you are plugged into AC (either shore power or the generator) and any variations in the incoming AC voltage will be passed on to the 12 volt side.
Newer switching converters like the Progressive Dynamics Intellipower leave the batteries in the circuit all the time. They also produce constant output voltage with anywhere from 105-130 volts AC going into them.
Well, its time to face the music after I thank each one of you for your help. The batteries are about 6-7 months old. The rv is parked on my property and I hav'nt had any chance to use it because my wife and I are presently taking care of her 85 year old mother. I've checked fluid levels in them once since new and sometime a few short months ago, I plugged the rv in and left it for quite a while. Recently, when I went to look things over, the lights started flickering....well,,,,,yes,,,,fluid was low in the batterys.....when I put distilled water in them, the problem stopped. I feel slightly inadequate but post this so others can learn from my mistakes. Once again, I thanks you gents!! Dave