Death Valley Mountain pass weather & road condition forecast needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I certainly hope you are planning to enter Death Valley from the East.  The western approach from Owens Lake/Ridgecrest to Stovepipe Wells climbs and drops 4000 ft. including a steep, 10+ mile downgrade - not for RVs even in good weather.

The easiest entry into Death Valley is from the east - CA 190 from Death Valley Junction to Furnace Creek being the lowest and easiest.

More specifically -
The forecast for Death Valley or any nearby town outside the valley will predict the lowest snow level elevation but a visitor would want to know the highest elevation of the various roads leading into the valley to determine if it is prudent to plan going in with a large RV.
A forecast as opposed to real time road conditions so a trip taking several days can be planned in advance
Thanks.

Still not sure which route you're planning on taking into DV. You can go to nps.gov/deva and click on Morning Report to get Death Valley current weather and road conditions as well as short term forecasts. You can also check wunderground.com or any other weather website for weather conditions and forecasts.

If you plan on entering DV in a large RV, DO NOT go in the west side over Towne Pass. It's 10 miles of constant 7-10% grades. Easiest way into the park is Hwy 190 from the east. But even it can have bad days.

Wendy

Again, check nps.gov/deva for information about pass elevation in Death Valley as well as forecasts of upcoming weather. And, again, do not use Towne Pass, the west entrance. If it helps any, Towne Pass is just under 5000' and you drop to Stovepipe Wells which is below sea level.

I guess I still don't understand what you're looking for that you can't find at the NPS website  :-\

Wendy

If the snow levels in a given storm are under 4000 feet going into Death Valley, I would hole up and wait the storm out.  If there is no storm, approaching Death Valley via Death Valley Junction and CA-190 is by far the best way in, either from Vegas or LA.  The pass is around 3000 foot in elevation and the grades max out at 3% -- piece of cake. 

Stay away from Towne Pass and the west side entries, winter or summer, in an RV -- towed or motorhome.

From the Death Valley map available on http://www.nps.gov/deva :

Towne Pass (from the west - CA 190) : 4956 ft.  10+ miles of 7-10% up/downgrades.  Not recommended for RVs. (my comment)

Daylight Pass (from Beatty - NV 364) : 4316 ft.

CA 190 - from Death Valley Junction:  3040 ft.  Easy 3-4% grades, recommended entry route. (my comment)

Salisbury Pass (CA 178 from Shoshone): 3315 ft.

NV 267 (Scottys Castle):  Grapevine Canyon, elevation not stated.

Like Carl said, if you're concerned about travel, stay home if the snow level is below 4000 ft.

I hope this answers your question.

Salisbury Pass (CA 178 from Shoshone): 3315 ft.

We've taken this route both ways to/from DV a couple of times and, weather permitting, wouldn't hesitate to take it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom