Decal Adhesive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the road tribe

Does anyone have any tricks for getting the adhesive off the fiberglass walls from our TT? I began removing the decals with a heat gun and scraping with a plastic spatula to slowly peel them off. I took all the decals off one whole side of the TT before we left, thinking it would be easy to remove the adhesive. I was wrong. The areas where they were are all now covered in dirt from traveling which makes things even more fun.

We have been slowly working on these areas but it is painstakingly slow. I have used the liquid Goof Off, gel Goof Off, and 3M Adhesive Remover. They all work fairly well but I wish there was something that would make this job faster. Should I try heat again?

These pictures are after I have cleaned all the dirt off the scrubbed for 30 min. Still barely any progress.

Attachments

• 20230101_083438.jpg
    20230101_083438.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230101_083446.jpg
    20230101_083446.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 6
I use Goo Gone.

Try soaking a paper towel and rub the surface with denatured alcohol using a plastic pudding knife to scrape. Careful with heat due to its flammable. Test the denatured alcohol on a less seen surface, but there should be no problem.

I used mayonnaise on my 2005 Bounder (our previous camper) to remove a few stickers that were fading away. I did test it in an area that was not too visible to make sure the mayo would not harm the finish. From the web:
"Use mayonnaise to remove stickers from any non-porous surface. This condiment combines vinegar and oil to attack sticker residue. Just place this sticky substance on top of your sticker, leave it for a few minutes and then wipe it away. You will want to use a damp cloth to remove any leftover sticker parts and mayonnaise residue. Please do not use this substance on porous surfaces as it can stain them"

Acetone, I have used it on finished surfaces w/o issue, test on inconspicuous spot first. Don't let it sit.
Risky, though, especially since most fiberglass-sided RVs these days are at least clear-coated and often painted. Acetone, lacquer thinner and MEK are great solvents but will quickly attack most finishes, so I really hesitate to recommend it to anyone lacking experience with those powerful chemicals. A moments inattention can become a disaster. But yes, acetone (etc) is highly effective for removing almost anything.

I have used it directly on Awlgrip painted surfaces w/o issue. Wet a piece of rag and with your finger on the wet spot use a rolling motion against the adhesive using a clean spot on the rag with each pass. Wipe with clean water rag.

Risky, though, especially since most fiberglass-sided RVs these days are at least clear-coated and often painted. Acetone, lacquer thinner and MEK are great solvents but will quickly attack most finishes, so I really hesitate to recommend it to anyone lacking experience with those powerful chemicals. A moments inattention can become a disaster.

MEK is what we dumped by the bucket fulls to clean surfaces at the ADP (Skunk Works) back in the early 1980's. I don't recommend using it. I'm no doctor, but MEK may cause health issues.

Someone mentioned Goo Gone, but that is now a brand name for multiple cleaning products. For adhesives, make sure you get the original Goo & Adhesive Remover liquid, or the similar gel. Not one of the several more general purpose cleaners that now carry the Goo Gone label.

It's amazing how quickly the edges of the decals start curling and flaking off. What's more amazing is how difficult it is to get the rest off. I tried and gave up on our 2008 Outback trailer. There's a ton of stuff you can try but whatever you try it's going to be a lot of work. I used one of my wife's hair dryers. That worked a bit but really wasn't up to the task. Maybe a heat gun would work better. Having it done professionally will get it done but it will be costly.

As I said, test first.
Sounds good, but in practice it's chancy. One is usually very careful when "testing", but less so once you start applying it more broadly. The limited test may well be successful, but the continued usage is subject to interruptions (the phone rings, neighbor stops by to chat, etc). And unless you have a scrap piece of the siding to work with, you can't test to see at what point the damage begins to occur. Most of us who have worked with that class of chemical have learned the hard way.

Someone mentioned Goo Gone, but that is now a brand name for multiple cleaning products. For adhesives, make sure you get the original Goo & Adhesive Remover liquid, or the similar gel. Not one of the several more general purpose cleaners that now carry the Goo Gone label.
Don't get it anywhere near rubber though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom