Deep cycle batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryP

I have a 2005 Montana that came with two deep cycle batteries. One of the already went bad, started needed water every few days when we were RVing, then started getting too hot to touch. I disconnected it, using only one battery. I brought the bad battery home and hooked it up to my trickle charger. Again it overheated badly. Since we do almost no dry camping and are hooked up to electricity almost all of the time when RVing, I wonder whether I really even need the second battery. Any advice will be appreciated.

These are 12 volt deep cycle batteries... 

If so, and you are normally hooked to shore power, one is enough

If they are six volt golf cart batteries, then you need a matched pair

LarryP said:
I have a 2005 Montana that came with two deep cycle batteries. One of the already went bad, started needed water every few days when we were RVing, then started getting too hot to touch. I disconnected it, using only one battery. I brought the bad battery home and hooked it up to my trickle charger. Again it overheated badly. Since we do almost no dry camping and are hooked up to electricity almost all of the time when RVing, I wonder whether I really even need the second battery. Any advice will be appreciated.

If you have a 2005 RV, shouldn't those batteries still be under warranty?

LarryP said:

That failing battery with its ultra-high resistance may have messed up your good battery and/or your charger.    Check out the charger's operation and seriously consider a new pair of batteries.  At least, give your remaining battery a load test.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. As I said. the single remaining battery seems to work fine by itself since we don't dry camp and it recharges fine with both the recharger on the Montana and with my home trickle charger. But I will have the battery checked just in case. Regarding the "still under warranty" reply, I understand the bad battery is still under warranty, but the way they prorate battery warranties, it would be cheaper, I'm sure, to just go buy a new one at Costco than go back to my RV dealer and get it replaced under prorated warranty. Again, thanks all.

Re Cheaper at COSTCO.

True, however I have heard you get what you pay for..  The Declaration of Independence asserts that all Men are created equal.

However not all batteries are created equal Some are clearly better

I'll check Autozone, too, but I really had excellent service from marine deep cycles batteries I bought from Costco for my previous fifth wheel; the price was good and the warranty was as good as or better than the more expensive batteries that RV dealers and RV parts dealers sell.

Chances are there will be no pro-rata charge on such a new battery. Also, remember that deep-cycle marine batteries are designed to both start engines and power electrical equipment. RV batteries are designed specifically for long-term, low current drain, and will perform better and longer under deep-discharge cycles. That's not to say you should cycle them below about 50% regularily. They'll last much longer if you don't.

Ask who the manufacture rd  the batteries. Many stores have their brand name put on the batteries.  IMHO if the manufacturer is Excide best to look elsewhere.  Also as Karl mentioned  Marine batteries are not necessarily  real deep cycle batteries.  Suggest save yourself time and money in the long run and get Trojans, Interstate, or AGM batteries.  Like somebody else mentioned you get what you pay for. ;D

I generally subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" concept, and I don't buy anything just because it has a low price.  BUT, even name-brand quality products can go bad on you. The battery that went bad on me in approximately 15 months was one of those supposed high-quality name-brand batteries, and I guarantee you that I maintained it properly (checked water regularly), that I did not abuse it in any way, and that my chargers (RV and home) work just fine. And the Costco brand worked great in my previous 5th wheel and lasted much longer. So, sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you get less, and occasionally when luck is with you -- you get even "more" than what you pay for. In my humble opinion, Costco doesn't sell "bad" merchandise and they do generally sell quality products you can depend on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom