Deep sea fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

Last week I got a call from a friend who indicated that their visiting son just had to go shark fishing to complete his bucket list before going back to Nova Scotia.  They had the boat booked and paid for, and would Donna and I join them, so off we went under the impression that we would have a nice day on the water in a 35 foot boat, with the sun out and temps in the high 80's.  We steamed out of Clearwater Beach for about 30 minutes, and the captain set up the first rod, while he was getting the second one set up, we got a hit, and landed about a 5 pound Spanish mackerel, followed by each of us catching various  king and Spanish mackerel, a few Bonita tuna and some junk fish that were fun to catch but were just thrown back by the captain.
  The he said it was time to move on and he went about 10 minutes from where we were trolling, and set the anchor.  He brought out another set of rods, cut up a few of the smaller fish we caught, dropped a bag of chum, and set the first rod.  Again, before he could get the other 2 set up, we had shark on the line, it was about a 4 1/2 foot spinner shark that the son had the honour of landing.  Neither Donna nor our friend's wife tried to land a shark, but the rest of us landed and released 2 or 3 each.  I had one on the line for about 5 minutes when it jumped clear out of the water, and spit out the hook.  I'm sure I heard it laughing at me.  The young fellow got it on video on his cell, but I haven't seen it yet.
  Needless to say, it was an amazing day out on the water, with each of us catching our fill of the largest fish any of us had ever caught.

Ed

Attachments

• The shark I landed.jpg
    The shark I landed.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Steaming home.jpg
    Steaming home.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 21
  • The day's results.jpg
    The day's results.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 28
Sounds fun Ed, we just finished a week of Cobia tournament. WE had our chances at these large fighting fish but none boated. We did however, land several large sharks, actually we cut the line when they got to the boat.
At the dock several local fishermen were telling me how good shark tasted. Sure but the teeth looked too big for me and a closed space.
Congratulations,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom