Dehumidifier needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

I have read a lot of people use dehumidifiers in their campers.  Is moisture really that big of a problem?  Im trying to decide if i should purchase one or not.

For where you are I would say definitely!  Hate crawling into a damp bed, so for us it was a no brainer.  If you have access to power an electric dehumidifier is a great idea.  Keeps the RVs insides nice and dry

You don't need one in most of the West, but I can see the advantage in a humid climate. We had one in the house when we lived in the Midwest, and it kept us much more comfortable. An air conditioner also dehumidifies, but sometimes all you really want to dry, not cold.

I'd suggest that if you have any inkling that you might need one, you probably need one.

For example, is there any condensation on the inside of your windshield or windows?

I simply checked Craigslist to find mine here in the Portland area and found a nice clean two year old 45 pint unit for $30. I fired it up at 7pm and had half a gallon of water by 5am and no condensation on the windows.

I agree. If I was in your shoes in AL, I would. I'm in MI. Surrounded by water and can be humid as heck during the summer.
It really depends on where you will be traveling. If anywhere where humidity can be an issue, get one. Even if you don't use it, you got one if you decide you need it.
You being in AL, you know what humidity is all about.

Don't forget, interior moisture not only comes from outside environment. Doing the dishes, cooking, showers, number of people, etc.  all contribute to the humidity level inside.

I suggest you purchase one. 

First, no need to get one until you need one.

Based on your location, you probably need one.

Inside humidity comes from many sources, including humans and pets breathing, showers, cooking (steam), hot humid air infiltration, etc..  In a 1500 sq ft home with 8 ft ceilings, this moisture spreads out over 12,000 cu. ft.  In a 35 ft camper with slides and 7 ft ceilings, 320 sq. ft X 7 = 2,240 cu.ft.  The moisture is almost 6 times more concentrated!  In cold weather, this water will condense many places, including windows, walls, beds, and anything else that is cool.  Unless you have a way to vent this moisture out without replacing it with COLD air, you will need a dehumidifier.

Another thing to think about is how much do you want run the A/C? Running it will draw the humidity level down by design. If you are doing a lot of camping where shore power is readily available and running the A/C is no issue, you may not need a dehumidifier.
Just a thought.

Peggyy said:
Can anyone recommend a good brand and size for an rv?
I'd say 30 pint or greater.

It should have 'auto restart' and the ability to adjust the humidity/dryness percentage.

I don't really care about which brand personally.

I would look for one which has the option of hooking up a short length of garden hose. You can put the dehumidifier in the bathroom and run the hose to the shower drain.

The hose option is great if you are going to be away from the RV for a while. For use while actually using the coach, not so much.

For me the most practical place in the coach for the unit is behind the front passenger seat in the MH.

markbarendt said:
The hose option is great if you are going to be away from the RV for a while. For use while actually using the coach, not so much.

For me the most practical place in the coach for the unit is behind the front passenger seat in the MH.

While living in the RV, you could use the supplied tank. You're thinking about putting it behind the drivers seat. Is there a way to run the hose outside like maybe on the side of a slide? It doesn't have the be the diameter of a garden hose. It could be just a piece of 1/4" tubing adapted to a garden hose fitting.

You are right that a smaller hose is very workable.

We though just use the built in tank and dump it every day or two. There is a tank full shutoff on all the units I've seen so no worry of overflow.

Personally I have no inclination to poke a hole in the coach to make room for any drain hose.

No need to poke holes.  Simply place the unit on a table, open a window and feed the hose outside.  Been doing this for years with great success.

We use a Frigidare one we bought from Amazon.  Every few days we take the water out.

Dickie125 said:
No need to poke holes.  Simply place the unit on a table, open a window and feed the hose outside.  Been doing this for years with great success.
Giggle, glad it works for you.

For me the dehumidifier has become a bit of an end table rather than taking up table space.

We live in hot and muggy Florida. Our rig is stored indoors and the high humidity caused the seats and side to peel. I bought a 30 pint dehumidifier that does the job. I keep one screened window open to allow the heat to escape. Dehumidifiers pump out a lot of warm air which is why a 20 or 30 pint unit ... with a hose from the machine to the sink .. is ample. New, it cost me $69 at Lowe's.

Well i bought one of the new models that have no compressor thinking it would be lightweight and work well for a small area. Wrong.  Didnt work at all.  Bought another one a little larger and same thing.  Finally went to Home Depot and bought a 30 pint with a compressor.  Works well so we shall see how it does in the camper.  Thanks everyone!

Have you actually observed humidity in the RV? I'm next door in MS and I have zero issue with humidity related problems, winter or summer.

rvannie23 said:
Have you actually observed humidity in the RV? I'm next door in MS and I have zero issue with humidity related problems, winter or summer.

No, but the dehumidifier took out 30 pints of water in a 12 hour period so i think that is pretty substantial.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danthestickman
Back
Top Bottom