Destination Trailer vs. Park Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steviross

Hi
I had planned to buy a destination trailer since I don't plan on moving often. This will be my home instead of a condo, mobile home, etc. Now I just heard about park homes but I'm not to sure about them. I couldn't find the info I needed on any of the manufacturers sites. So, here are the questions I have:
1)How big are they? I didn't see any that had tilt outs though many had lofts.
2)Are they self contained? In other words could I park along side the road and have my utilities like water, sewage, and electricity?
3)Are most RV parks okay with you having one there?
4)Are there special towing requirements such as needing commercial towing?
That's all I can think of for now but I would like to hear from anyone who lives in these and how they like them. Thank you in advance to anyone who answers this post.
Steph

steviross said:
Bigger than the average trailer.
2)Are they self contained? In other words could I park along side the road and have my utilities like water, sewage, and electricity?
They are not moveable except by professional movers. Most only get moved once or twice in their lifetime. Think cheap mobile home.

Destination trailers are basically a park model trailer and meant to be set up and left in place as are 'park model' trailers. The models I have seen have holding tanks, have 12V operation and regular RV appliances too, can be towed normally. Some of the upscale RV parks may not find them acceptable as RV's.

Park model trailers are very similar but often do not have a holding tank system, often have 'tip out' slides, which do not move in and out at will like a regular trailer, often use normal household 120V appliances (stove, fridge, toilet), and may be better insulated as their weight is a lesser consideration. They are often not equipped for 12V operation like a normal trailer. AFIK they can be moved but not without a lot more work than a normal trailer, my two neighbors who had them were moved easily enough just recently.

Today, neither destination trailers nor park model trailers are accepted in the park where I am although modular (prefab) homes that are referred to as 'park models' are....They are moved in on wheels, possibly in 2 halves, then permanently installed by the manufacturer, and tied down with the wheel assembly removed.

Park models are usually just under the 400 square ft. HUD limit that differentiates RVs from mobile homes.  This lets them be placed in RV parks versus permanent residence mobile home parks that fall under a different set of rules.

The ones that resemble a mobile home versus an RV are based on a shortened mobile home platform that's 12 to 14 feet wide, depending on the state where they're sold, compared to the maximum 8 1/2 ft. width for a road legal RV.  Of course, this means they're an oversized load on the road which means they'll need oversize permits and a commercial hauler just like a full size mobile home any time they're moved from one location to another.

A third option that's appeared in the last couple of years is the so-called Tiny House.  These are custom all wood house built on an 8 ft. wide flatbed trailer, usually by an individual or a small builder.  Unlike RVs and mobile homes that have to meet occupancy and safety standards like exit paths, sanitation, etc., the Tiny Houses are intended to circumvent building codes and have so far flown under the radar of government regulation.

Think cheap mobile home.

Not really.

Ours in Wyoming has good quality appliances, tape and texture drywall with rounded edges, dual pane windows, washer and dryer, dishwasher, air conditioning, and much above average carpet.

It is, according to the builder, 399.8 square feet, and we have lived in it every summer for 15 years - quite nicely.

We just received our new property tax statements and the annual tax for the park model is $123.75 and for the lot that it sits on, $81.50.

Bill

You can get a good size travel trailer with slides that ultimately give a bit more room then the park model or the trendy tiny house. With the travel trailer you can hook it up to your tow vehicle and move whenever you choose.  You will have all the conveniences water, power, sewage system when ever you are not connected to park services.  The park models I have seen are very nice, comfortable and have nice finishes.  A lot depends on what your goal is, staying in one place for a long time or traveling.  I guess one advantage of the travel trailer is that you could go on vacation and stay at home at the same time lol.

I have a good friend with a park model.  It is parked in an RV park.  He bought this one when his previous park model lost an argument with a tornado.  The place he bought it towed to the site and set it up.  It will probably never be moved.  It is a nice place with very nice finishing touches.  It is NOT a cheap mobile home, but the price was not cheap, either.  It is his permanent summer getaway spot.

This is specifically the use designed for a park model - not infrequent moves.

Hi
Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. Every one of them helped me come to a decision and the answer is:
A destination trailer.
I want to be self contained so if anything happens and I can't park it somewhere with hook ups, I will be self contained. I don't plan to move frequently but I want to be near my mother to help her out and she may move once her husband passes on. I chose to make an RV my home so I can live in a beautiful place where I feel I'm on vacation every day of my life for little money.
Now, if you have any advice on what makes for a great destination trailer I'm all ears.
Thanks
Steph

A destination trailer is still an RV and designed to be moved by the owner, even though not all that often. They have slides, holding tanks, etc. A park model is designed to be professionally moved to a site and left there indefinitely. The owner doesn't hitch it up and take it home for the winter.

The legal max for a park model is 400 sq ft. At 400 sq ft or larger, the "manufactured home" building codes kick in so anything that size cannot be an RV park model

No, they are not designed to be self contained.

3)Are most RV parks okay with you having one there?
No.

4)Are there special towing requirements such as needing commercial towing?
Usually. They may be wider or taller than normal road travel allows (special permits needed), and they usually need protection for windows and doors and other prep work before moving them. Park models often have temporary wheels and/or axles which are removed when set up, so it may be necessary to have the mover supply those as well.

SeilerBird said:
It is a home that is mobile. It is cheaper than a full sized mobile home. Therefore it is a cheap mobile home.

A Ford is cheaper than a Cadillac but it is not a cheap car.

A Ford is cheaper than a Cadillac but it is not a cheap car.

Exactly my point.

A ruby is probably less expensive than a diamond, but it is not a cheap stone.

Bill

I have a Jayco Bungalow Destination trailer in my back property that my sister has lived in for 6+ years, I bought it new.  It is 40' long, is fully self contained, and can be moved if desired.  It has 2 slides, both electric, 2 AC units, a small residential refer,  a 4 burner propane stove, and all holding tanks. 

The main difference is that the front door of the unit is a slider.  It also has a stacked washer/dryer combo.  It is a bumper pull, so a decent 3/4 ton diesel can move it fairly easily. Closed up it is 8' wide, so no special permits required.  It works out pretty well for her and us. 

The differences that I have noticed in AZ between a park model and a destination trailer is there are thicker walls and and more roof insulation in a park model. The park model usually has an outside heat-pump/AC unit sitting on a separate pad.  They'll requires better tie downs band and skirting is required.  Usually, a car port or, even AZ room is added certain areas can be added.  Stove, Fridge, washer and other appliances and lights are all 120 V no 12Volt lighting.  Dryers use LP.  LP is in a larger tank (100#) sitting on a pad.  Hitch and wheels are removed. Toilet is usually similar to a sticks and bricks.. Not easily move.  A destination trailer is  more like a RV, even thou it not move to often.   

Wi1dBi11

Back
Top Bottom