Diesel Fuel additives for Long Term Storage????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

What, if any, additives do you put in the diesel fuel tank for long term storage?  The guy at the auto parts store recommended "Sea Foam" ... two cans for a full tank of diesel, 90 gallons, more or less.  The MH may be in this condition for 5 months or so, depending on the weather.  I could start the engine every month or so if necessary... 

It is plugged into power all the time so the batteries will stay charged.  Of course the water and holding tanks are drained. 

Do I even need to put any additives in the fuel tank?????

thanks.

I use Howes fuel treat for ny diesel. Do NOT start the engine monthly unless you DRIVE it for 30 to 45 minutes to burn off all the moisture and exercise the bearings, tires, erc. And at the same time, run the generator under 1/2 load (heat pump, electric heater, etc) for 45 min to an hour.

Some of us add biocide to diesel tanks and top up before storage.

Tom-
If I were to look for biocide, any idea of where to find it?  Would my local auto parts store have it or would I need to go to a truck stop?  Also, what is a brand name to look for?

Scott, I usually buy it at a marine store, but don't recall the brand.

One brand name is Bio Kleen, and their web site shows numerous retail locations, including auto parts and hardware stores, by state:

http://www.powerservice.com/bk/

We park for about 3 months at a time and have never added anything to our fuel tank.  We do top it off before parking to prevent condensation from forming.  If you keep water out of the tank you shouldn't have a problem with microbes in the fuel.  Don't run the engine unless you are going to drive it long enough to get it to operating temperatures.  Idling will do more harm than good.

Diesel fuel is inherently more stable than gasoline.  If you're engine is a pre-2007 motor designed to run on Low Sulphur versus Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel you would more than likely benefit your injectors by using a lubricity additive such as Stanodyne or Power Service though.  The best thing you can do for a diesel engine that is going to sit is to make sure that fuel tank is full.  Also if possible you want to avoid bio-diesel for storage as it is more prone to critters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom