DIESEL PUSHER MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DICK L

HELLO ALL:
I am not exactly a "Newbe" but close. I owned a 28' Winnebago class A 20 years ago when kids were home. I am retiring next year and am doing research on motor homes. Choices are mind boggling! We plan on traveling 8-10 months a year. I think I have narrowed it down to Newmar or Holiday Rambler 36-39' diesel pusher. On Newmar is Spartan or Freightliner chasis preferable. Also Cummins or Cat. ? Reliability, ride comfort, service, etc. Any info. greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
DICK

In my opinion there is no significant reason for choosing Spartan vs Freightliner or Cummins vs Cat. Both are fine chassis.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.  Just make sure you are getting the engine size and chassis suspension options needed to give the comfort and performance you want. Either chassis can be configured in many different ways, e.g. more GVWR, air suspension, auto-leveling, etc.

There probably isn't much to choose between a Monaco product (The Rambler) and Newmar either - both are excellent brands. And from what I observe on various RV websites, both have about the same risk/probability of producing a lemon: relatively low, but unfortunately not zero.

Having driven all, it's hard to beat Winnebago.  All will have problems, but Winnie seems to have less....unless you get into the big bucks rigs.

Dick:

You appear to be traveling right in our footsteps.  We spent several years looking at motorhomes.  By the beginning of last year our list was down to three.  Newmar, Holiday Rambler, and Mandalay.  Then after test driving we crossed the Mandalay off our list. 

We think chassis selection is very important.  We found after test driving the Holiday Rambler Endeavor (and the Beaver Santiam which is identical), that the Roadmaster chasis tends to wander.  However the Newmar uses the Spartain Mountainmaster on its 39 and above diesel pushers.  the advantage of this is that you get independent front suspension.  this makes all the difference in the world when driving, especially on long trips.  those constant little steering corrections become annoying, then tiring after many hours on the road.  This was the single largest factor in our decision to go with a particular motorhome.  Newmar is also known for its excellent craftsmanship.  the company is owned by the Mennonites and 80% of the employees are Amish, so you can picture the craftsmanship they are known for.  they have their own woodworking shop and their own fabric shop.

If you go with Newmar, be sure to get the Spartan Mountainmaster chassis.  We ended up with a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star KS3910 and we love it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom