Digital photography questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MarshaLassen/CA said:
Hi Ron M,

Nice picture.? Looks like its a "globe Mallow" plant.? They were eveywhere on our trip.? We just got home late last night. :(? I'm ready to pack? up and take off again.? But Tim wants to stay home a while.

Marsha~

It is Flowering Quince in this neck of the woods.

What is RAW format?  I'm shooting in the finest resolution supported by my Canon Elph.  I end up with .bmp files about a meg in size.  Maybe 750k.  I use simple little Photo Editor from MS Office.  photoed.exe.  Office doesn't install Photo Editor by default.  It doesn't do much of anything, but most of the time I just want to make the file size smaller for emailing.  Or I'll crop something.  It's such a quick job.  I have Photoshop Elements for redeye and other things.

--pat

Pat,
Boy, you sure ask the tough ones! Basically, RAW format (and there are many schemes used by various camera manufacturers) is the unmodified record of what each pixel the camera's image sensor sees, broken down into red, green and blue or cyan, magenta and yellow elements; one grid of data elements for each of the 3 colors consisting of space for data for each pixel. In other words, if one pixel is illuminated by fully saturated pure green light, that particular green grid pixel data element will have a grey-scale rating of 255. If there is no green light, it will have a value of 0. Similarly, if that same pixel contains 50% saturated red light, the data recorded in the red grid data element will be a greyscale value of 127 (one-half the fully saturated value). Same goes for blue. What you end up with is 3 color grids containing greyscale values for each pixel in the photo. For example, if you shoot at 800 x 600 resolution, the three grids will contain 480,000 data elements each, each containing specific greyscale values for each pixel. It is now up to the camera to interpret and interpolate all this greyscale data to produce the image on the LCD you see after you've taken the shot. Here's where the beauty of RAW format comes in: Because none of the data the camera sees has been compressed or modified in any way, you can import the raw data into a program like PhotoShop and manipulate each pixel INDIVIDUALLY - should you have nothing better to do with your time. The advantage here is that JPEG, for example, usually compresses 8 pixels into one, causing you to lose some image detail and quality to gain more exposures on the same size memory (flash) card. In my case (a 5 megapixel Nikon), a 128 MB memory card will hold 205 standard quality pictures each taking up about 624,000 bytes, whereas shooting in raw mode I will only be able to put 8 pictures on the same card because each one now takes up 16,000,000 bytes of storage space (3 x 5 megapixels + the metadata; explanation follows) The camera also records metadata (data about data) which has information about exposure settings, lens opening, white balance, whether a flash was used, camera type and serial number, and other data for each and every picture. A more detailed explanation can be found here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/understanding_digitalrawcapture.pdf
Hope that answers your question.

kk:  Until RAW, my mind has never conjured up the word "awesome." 

My flash memory card is 512mb.  I get about 850 fine resolution pictures on it, which I did only a couple times when I was photographing a bike trail and on a tour bus around Glacier NP.  I have to carry two spare batteries on the big projects. 

I need a very small, lightweight digital camera, because it's usually hanging from my neck along with other paraphernalia when I bike someplace.  The Elph has been great; although, I'd love a much clearer and stronger zoom. 

--pat

kkolbus said:
Boy, you sure ask the tough ones!

Thanks for that explanation and the link to the pdf file, Karl. I have been using RAW with my Nikon D70 for some time, but never understood much about the mechanics of it. RAW images are truly awesome; they allow you to do so much in a program such as Photoshop. I think that the better you understand RAW, the more you can get out of your RAW images.

Thanks again,
Don

Hi Don,

I think that the better you understand RAW, the more you can get out of your RAW images.

If you are using PS-CS (and I can't recall if you said that you are) and you're interested in using RAW, I commend to you Bruce Fraser's book, "Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop."  In saying this, I know I'm repeating myself on the forum, but this book is worth a repeat reference.

Ciao,

Doug

No need to apologize for the repeat reference Doug. I missed it first time around, so thanks for posting it again.

Ron:  Could you clarify "latest and greatest in digital photography will be at the Moab rally."  Are there vendors at the rallys?  Demonstrations? 

--pat

DougJ and Ron:

I sure loved my old Nikon Coolpix cameras with the twisting bodies.  I could hold and point it anywhere and take pictures any direction.  Great for stealth.

Drawback was size and weight.  It was just too heavy to wear around my neck while bicycling, which is when I do a lot of big projects. 

What's the new Nikon?

--pat

Hi Pat,

It was just too heavy to wear around my neck while bicycling,

Sounds like you'd want to have one of those small Olympus camera--my wife, who doesn't like to take photographs if the camera is not really a smart point and shoot, really blossomed out with family pics once I gave here a small Olympus (silver-based) cameras.  Olympus does have the digital version of these cameras.

As for the new Nikon, we'll just have to wait for a report from Moab, I guess ;).

Ciao,

Doug

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Hi Ron M,

Nice picture.? Looks like its a "globe Mallow" plant.? They were eveywhere on our trip.? We just got home late last night. :(? I'm ready to pack? up and take off again.? But Tim wants to stay home a while.

Marsha~

In our area that plant is referred to as "Flowering Quince"

Back
Top Bottom