digital thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mud Puppy

I have searched the library and found a lot of info. but not enough to know if there is a programable digital stat. that will work. I have a TT and don't need a hi/lo fan switch. Some of the info I read was pretty old and I am wondering if anyone has a new model # that will work. Thanks Cathy

I recently installed a Honeywell  RTH221B 1-week programmable digital thermostat in my coach. It replaced a Hunter non-programmable digital 'stat that replaced the OEM analog 'stat. I installed a mini-toggle switch on the side of the mounting base to add the fan speed control. Honeywell also has similar models with 7-day, 5-2-day, and 5-1-1-day programming that use the same mounting base.

I installed 7 day programmable tstat (hunter) in my rig. Very easy installation. 4 wires to new tstat. One wire (I think blue) is for low fan speed and is not used unless you want to install a separate switch for low fan function.
Steve

I looked for Hunter but could not find any at Walmart or Home Depot so I got the Honeywell RTH221B have not installed yet because it says it needs 24V or also works with milivolt. So I know you said it works for you but how? Thanks Cathy

OK I am trying to install the Honeywell Tstat I have 6 wires I understand all but the brown one is labled fan and the blue labled hi fan. I am not installing the toggle switch so I won't use the blue one I guess. But what about the brown one labled fan? The Honeywell stat just has
B O G Y W not used R RC I have wires G for ground R is power Y is cooling W is furnace. Anyone know what to do with the brown and blue wires. Thanks Cathy

Allow me to give my idea of LO vs HI speed on the fan.

I connected mine on LO speed only and ignored putting in the extra switch.

My theory:  On low speed  (which is not much slower than HI speed or vice- versa) the air traveling thru the furnace has more time to heat before being ejected thru the register. Hence the HI speed flows thru faster and has less time to heat the air.  Me thinks that the net effect in more heat output will negligible  in HI speed mode if any. After all one is just heating a box and not a house.

Just rambling....

I searched the library again and found a link to the Hunter stat wiring the Honeywell looks the same so I think I know what to do. Cathy

Yes, the Hunter wiring info should work for you, Cathy. As for the fan speed, it only applies to the A/C fan, not the furnace fan. Sometimes the A/C coils will ice up faster at the low speed than on high, but that usually only occurs in high humidity conditions.

So if I don't put a switch in do I have high fan for the AC? I have it installed and the furnace is working great. How long do the batteries last? Can I use rechargeable batteries? Thanks Cathy

I believe the fan selection is only for the A/C. So you can select the SLOW wire or the HI wire to connect...your choice.

In installed the SLOW one my Hunter and was very satisfied.  It's easy to change them again after you evaluate which speed sounds beat to you.

Re batteries... They will last at least on year or more and they are inexpensive.  Alkalines have a long shelf life when not in use, so keep a few on hand as spares . I don't recommend rechargeables.

Carson has it covered, Cathy. The fan speed is your choice to make, and changing it later on is not difficult. I also agree on the batteries. Just use good quality alkalines (Duracell, etc), and forget about rechargables.

OK I will see what speed I will want when the time comes. OK to the batteries also. Sounds like it is just like a thermostat in a house, But in a house the power comes from the furnace, and the batteries are a back up. Is it the same in the TT? I kind of want to know how it operates. Cathy

Just a random piece of information..

I installed two Hunter t'stats... both have two stage cooling options..

I wired the "Y-1" to the roof-top a/c and the hi-fan to the "Y-2" terminal..
On a call for cooling my a/c starts on low speed..if the temp rises enough to warrent a second stage the "Y-2" switches the fan to its hi-speed.

"R" is the 12v positive and "W" is the furnace..the "G" fan is unused..

Since it has to be switched from heat to cool and the furnace fan is independent of the t'stat it works very nicely.

the AAA batteries power the t'stat logic and are on their second year of use..

Icemaker

OK so it operates off the batteries, How can they last that long (1 year?) I mean the heat is running every day it is cold here in Colorado. I do have extras should they not last that long. Thanks Cathy

Hi Cathy,  Good question..Here is an explanation for battery life

"A non-rechargeable battery always powers the thermostat. To limit the amount of power drawn from the battery, such thermostats use an impulse relay that does not require the continuous application of power to the relay's coil. These thermostats can be used on millivolt circuits, as well as conventional 24 VAC circuits. Battery life is typically one to two years."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom