DirectTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bingberg

I'm almost afraid to post this because I know you guys have to walk newbies through this on an almost daily basis...but we are getting a run around from Direct getting distant network services.  We have filled out all the additional paperwork to get set up with the east and west feeds (rv registration etc.). We are South Dakota residents.  They set us up with west coast feeds only because SD is a western state.  When we try to talk to someone about getting the east coast feed as well, we are told that as of 2010 they no longer allow it. Furthermore, even if we are physically on the east coast, we can't change our service to the east coast.  When we explain we don't care to watch prime time shows in the wee hours of the morning we are basically being told tough beans, sucks to be you!  We do not receive local channels, and if the supervisor we were on the phone with yet again today is to be believed even if we got local channels we still couldn't be changing our address each time we are in a new location.

After all that, what I need to know is....has ANYONE out here who are full-timers been allowed both feeds since 2010 when these rules went into effect?  Thanks in advance!

Beth Ingberg

We are also SD residents and have DNS with DirecTV and have the East Coast feeds because we were told that SD is an "eastern" state (our address is in eastern SD!)  It may well depend on where in the state your billing address is since the western part of the state is on Mountain Time.  Are you using a mail service in Rapid City as opposed to one in Sioux Falls or Madison?

Yes, we use America's mailbox out of Rapid City.  It's unbelievable to me that it is etched in stone forevermore that we will receive only west coast feeds regardless of where we are in the USA.  I wonder how many folks in a fixed dwelling would like to watch the shows they enjoy in "prime time" in the wee hours of the night or in the middle of the afternoon?  Chances are DirectTV would have many fewer customers.  It is maddening because we did EXTENSIVE homework before choosing a provider, entailing a thorough search on this forum, in addition to multiple calls to both Direct and DISH.  We were told on several different occasions that after we submitted appropriate paperwork we would receive both.  With DISH they require a separate account with an outside provider with an added billing. I am venting after being fresh off the phone with these knuckleheads so for that I apologize. I tend to rant, then after I feel sufficiently foolish for my carrying on as I do, my cooler head prevails....maybe I'll be in that place tomorrow!

Regards,
Beth
P.S. I've tried to post this reply several times and seems to be lost in cyberspace, so forgive if I end up double posting

The 2010 date was when they started issuing one DNS service. We have had both since 2003 but those of us who are grandfathered received a letter offering a package price to switch over to the new system with both east and west coasts. Like you I would prefer the East if I had to make a choice, we like recording everything early and watching it on the DVR.

I would try talking to the number you were given above but you may have to consider switching to a mailing address in the Central Time Zone if it is that important to you.

With Dish the DNS you receive from the "third party" is only SD, there is no HD DNS available so IMO DirecTV is still a better deal.  The only thing you can do is occasionally have DirecTV change your service address (not the billing address) to wherever you are located so you can watch the networks at the proper time using the local channels.  It may mess up your DVR settings but it's better than watching Jay Leno at 2 am!

DirecTV went to the current policy several years ago, before we had ours. 

We are SD residents, have both east and west coast DirecTV feeds. I think it was an extra $5 per month. PBS national feed was another similar charge.

As bingberg and some others have said, since 2010 new Direc TV DNS subscribers can only get one DNS source, either East or West. This is due to Direct's interpretation of an FCC they do not ever seem to cite - I doubt if the phone reps even know what it is. Dish does not have the same interpretation. Somne of us long-time DNS subscribers were "grandfathered" with both East & West, but I was advised that if I ever dropped both I would never be able to get both East & West back (from Direct, anyway)

However, this is the first time I have heard anybody say they were forced to use West rather than East.

I would go to Dish (and let Direct know why). The DNS national network feeds are SD anyway, so the Dish DNS service is as good as Direct's.

Thanks for all the replies.  I would like to just switch over to Dish now, but we are only 1 month into our contract with Direct.

I clearly recall being given the option in late 2010 to pick East or West feeds, but probably not both. We picked East for the all the reasons mentioned previously.

I have found some Directv reps more responsive than others, but you always have the option to escalate your call to a supervisor. They have a strong customer retention mandate and you might need to spend a little more time coaxing. It is worth your time to be insistent, even if it takes multiple calls.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The DNS national network feeds are SD anyway, so the Dish DNS service is as good as Direct's.
Gary,
My DirecTV DNS service is HD...that is for CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS (East Coast). I do not consider Dish SD service as good as DirecTV for this reason.
Bob

bobsharon said:
Gary,
My DirecTV DNS service is HD...that is for CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS (East Coast). I do not consider Dish SD service as good as DirecTV for this reason.
Bob

Actually, I think the PBS feed is still SD, but there is FOX in HD if that is any consolation.  But I totally agree with you that HD DNS is far superior to what can be obtained through Dish.

I have the pay as you go DISH service. It has turned out to be a poor service due to the lack of training of their customer service people in the Dominican Republic. I bring this up here because there was a comment that changing to DISH might allow you to get DNS. Not so.

When I started with DISH, DNS was provided by a third party. It then changed to DISH provided viewing, and the transition was cumbersome. I had both East and West programing, but depending on geographic location would often get one or the other due to the broadcast cone coverage. Last year DNS was dropped all together and remains unavailable according to my attempts to get my service started again this week. DISH's answer is to call and change the service address when you relocate. I am on the road and have changed service address three times. Twice it worked. Each time it was a 30-45 minute process of being placed on hold, explaining what was needed, being transferred to another agent, then having to reset the receiver, acquire the signal and download the guide data again. If you are a snowbird and only changing location two or three times a year it is fine, but if you are on the road it is a pain when it works correctly and a phenomenal inconvenience when it does not. I have had terrible luck, so my experience has mostly be the later.

Another point of consideration: you may require extensive antenna changes to switch from one carrier to the other. I have the Winegard Travel'r system. Works great, but it is specific to DISH. I would need expensive changes to the system to be compatible with DirecTV. If you are in the market for a new antenna keep this in mind and get the configuration for the system you are willing to stick with for some time.

By the way, I have DirecTV at home and like the programing, but both provider's customer service and technical support are deplorable. Not enough competition to get them to improve.

Gary:

Starting with the introduction of HD DNS new customers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones are only being offered west coast DNS. Don't know of many around PHX who have gotten that waived.

We move about every two weeks on average. The Dish option of changing your service address as often as you like has been quite convenient for us. Tara calls when we arrive and service is changed within 10 minutes on average. Seems to take her about three minutes or less. Do it first and then turn the receiver on to avoid the extra program downloads. It's also free!

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
We move about every two weeks on average. The Dish option of changing your service address as often as you like has been quite convenient for us. Tara calls when we arrive and service is changed within 10 minutes on average. Seems to take her about three minutes or less. Do it first and then turn the receiver on to avoid the extra program downloads. It's also free!

Ernie

this is reason enough to drop Direct and go with Dish....Call Direct and tell them you're gone, I'll bet they figure out a new way of keeping their customers.

Starting with the introduction of HD DNS new customers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones are only being offered west coast DNS.

I stand corrected!  8)  I wasn't aware there was an HD version of DNS available.

Direct TV sure knows how to make life difficult. I plan to drop my Direct service when we get home next month. I'll probably sign up for Dish PAYG service for next years travel, since we will have good cable tv available at our primary summer location anyway. I'm tired of paying too much money for the few stations Nancy watches and dealing with Direct's nonsense rules.

By the way, if your tvs are less than about 26", you aren't really going to see much, if any, difference between SD and HD.

Gary RV Roamer said:
By the way, if your tvs are less than about 26", you aren't really going to see much, if any, difference between SD and HD.
IMHO I must disagree. Even a 26" HD @ 720i is a significant improvement over SD. (So speaketh this TV addict.)

Bob

Whatever rows your boat. On a smaller tv, most people can't distinguish the difference between SD and HD resolution, but individuals vary. Another interesting test result is that people seem to think that LCD tvs are displaying higher res than a tube tv, even when showing the same SD image. It's probably because the display is brighter. Or maybe just because the tv looks more modernistic.

...people seem to think that LCD tvs are displaying higher res than a tube tv...

Yep -- I have a rear projection tube type (HD) in my basement, and it runs at 1080i. The contrast range is greater, the detail is somewhat better, but it's not as bright as the large LCD we have upstairs. It's deceptive. The 1080p (with the same HD-DVD or BluRay disc) on the LCD only has the advantage of getting rid of the interlace artifacts that show up at 1080i, but not better resolution. That said, first impressions make the LCD seem better, but long term it's not really so.

Back
Top Bottom