dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

in an RV are you better off to buy melamine  dishes or corelle dishes... I know this may seem like a silly question... but I am just wondering?

Been using Corel for years.  Yea, we break one once in a while. But no worse than at home.

Good question.  We pretty much use paper plates and bowls.  On the rare occasion we don't, we use the same type of plates we use at our sticks and stucco home...and they definitely do break.

It's not good to use melamine in the microwave, so that may be a factor. Corelle is great stuff, and would be my choice -- it doesn't break easily and works well in the microwave.

Second Larry N.'s comment.  We got rid of our melamine dishes.  I have one bowl left for things like chips and it NEVER goes in the microwave!  We love our Corelle.

ArdraF

Thank you so much for your responses! :) I will now order my dishes!....WE are so excited about our new "home"....

A little late here, but another vote for Corelle, with paper plates for back up.

Think I'll get those when we get back to US. The melamine was fine until we needed to microwave stuff. Didn't realise you couldn't put them in there.  ::)

We use the same plates we had used at home before full-timing. Only ting we have that is kinda plastic is a few bowls and glasses........never have broken anything.

We use melamine for our "everyday" dishes - and simply don't use 'em to nuke stuff.  For us, the choice to go with melamine vs Corelle was purely aesthetic - we found some colorful melamine dishes that we really liked the look of (the color palate reminded me of Fiesta Ware).  Being that the dishes we had at home had some silver in the edging on them that made them unsuitable for microwave use - we're used to not nuking the dishes - so we don't feel like we're missing much. 

We also carry a couple of place settings of real stoneware for "special" occasions.  We really enjoy cooking - and presentation is a big part of that.  If/when we replace the melamine stuff - I suspect that we'll likely go with real dishes.  In the two years we've been schlepping the stoneware - we haven't broken a thing.  The extra weight that 4 place settings of real dishes will add isn't much of a concern. 

Here's a link to the melamine dish we found that we liked

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/certified-international-serape-12-piece-dinnerware-set/1044425180?skuId=44425180&ioid=HH000032&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_flatware_&adpos=1o2&creative=43742634709&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=44425180&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwrbEBRDqxqzMsrTGmogBEiQAeSE6ZVGlfZz8T5W3WZcjnI9F5K51lI1DyMUWicbz1gLQGVkaAo9E8P8HAQ

Maybe because I dont have company over, but we use mismatching cups and plastic plates. Cheaper to replace  :D

X2 No nuke in the fiver so that is not an issue. We have had occasional breakage when a cupboard latch didn't hold though, now I stretch a short bungee across the door.

Back when I brought my TT Corelle was my choice as they are a bit heavier than Melamine which I like & the fact that they could go in the microwave.  On the other hand there are so many patterns in Melamine that I like as well.  Melamine tends to be a little cheaper in cost so you could change out the patterns quicker if you wish to.

I say to get what you want. 

Not exactly same topic here. While restoring the C-Class I'm working on, I've been discovering everything the original owner left behind. In the kitchen area, top shelf it has a set of fine china plates & bowls, ect. that match the RV's outside coloring. Was this sold with the camper when it was new? Or did the original owner somehow luck upon a china set like this?

I love my Corelle.

I bought open stock plus I stalked Goodwill and nearly new places for months while I rounded up the odds and ends I wanted.

I have bowls in 3 different sizes, the smaller luncheon plates rather than the huge dinner plates, the pie plate (great for microwave uses!) a set of snack plates, and a couple of the pasta bowls for messy meals. I love my Corelle!

Since I often eat a salad with dinner, the smaller luncheon sized plates work well and are easy to store.

We mostly use Melamine, but we bought some Nordic Ware microwavable bowls and plates.  We have had several dishes "pop" out of our cabinet once we arrive some where.  The only glass we have up there are coffee cups.  I just don't like to drink coffee out of plastic for some reason.  We tend to keep the coffee cups towards the back of the cabinet.

I hope that helps!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondie1956!
Back
Top Bottom