Distance between coach and power supply in Canada campsites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlwfarms52

Planning to travel Canada soon , I understand power supply to campsite is farther away in Canada that in the U.S. ,What length of power cord should I have with me

I have a homemade extension cord maybe 15’ or so. Used it one time in Door County WI., site had pedestals near the front of the pad instead of towards the rear.

Similar to above, I have never noticed a difference in the distance from electrical hook ups from Canada or the US and we have RVd coast to coast in both countries. However we too carried a 12 gauge extension cord for those times when we might want to place the MH further to the intended site for a preferable location.

Ed

Planning to travel Canada soon , I understand power supply to campsite is farther away in Canada that in the U.S. ,What length of power cord should I have with me
I wouldn't try to generalize like that for an entire country. And your perspective as to close or further away would surely be colored by your USA camping experience, i.e.close-packed sites vs roomier ones.

In any case, whether camping in the USA or Canada, I always carried electrical & water extensions to connect up to 35+ ft away, so that I had the flexibility to park at whatever distance was convenient for us.

Similar to above, I have never noticed a difference in the distance from electrical hook ups from Canada or the US and we have RVd coast to coast in both countries. However we too carried a 12 gauge extension cord for those times when we might want to place the MH further to the intended site for a preferable location.

Ed
You do realize extending a 10 gauge shore power cable with a 12 gauge extension could be trouble? Even worse if it's a 6 gauge shore power.

When I converted the trailer to a twist lock type input on the side of the trailer in place of the hardwired shore cord stored in a small compartment, I bought a new shore cord that was 36 ft. It was in the Amazon warehouse as a return and had been nicely rolled and shrink wrapped in plastic showing no evidence of use or handling. This left me with the original 25 ft cord I removed, which was stiff and unmanageable so it sat stored away until I decided to make it into an extension cord. I added a female Progressive Industries cord end. While I have not used it, I have swapped cords with my travel buddy twice when he pulled into a site so we faced each other and his 25 ft twist lock cord didn't reach.

Charles

extending a 10 gauge shore power cable with a 12 gauge extension could be trouble?
Probably not as dire as one might think. The voltage drop of 50ft of 12ga at 30A amounts to 75 watts, distributed over that 50 feet. You'd get a few volts drop, I get not ideal or universally acceptable, but it's not like things will immediately start melting. Besides, the only way you'd be able to use a 12ga cord (presumed standard extension cord) would be plugged into a 15/20A outlet. So within rating by default.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

What we have noticed is that it’s a little more common in powered forested camp grounds is that the power post is on the front of the lot. I see this less often in the US.

IMG_7064.jpeg

We drove to AK in 2012; the longest extension cord is used was a 25' 15A cord. that kept the batteries charged and lights on, appliances are all LP. Had a grand time through CA. IMO it's just as interesting as AK.

We have used our 25 ft 10 gauge extension cord for our 30 amp service a number of times, with few problems It drops the voltage by about 3 volts.

This can be problematic during really hot days when everyone's AC is running and the supply voltage drops. Our EMS cut off the power a number of times at one site due to low voltage situations which were aggravated by the drop in the extension.
Just my $.02
Safe travels and all the best.

Back
Top Bottom