Do I have the weight figured right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterwolf

HELLO ALL, I HAVE A O4 3/4 DODGE SB WITH A HEMI AND A 4:10 GEAR. THE GVWR IS 8800 WITH A GCVWR OF 17000#. THE TITLE FOR THE TRUCK SAYS IT WEIGHS 5919, I KNOW I GOT TO WEIGH IT TO KNOW FOR SURE BUT LETS JUST SAY I'LL WEIGH IN WITH PASSENGERS GAS, AND HITCH AT 6946. SO 8800-6946=1854. IS THE 1854 THE MAX PIN WEIGHT I SHOULD CONSIDER? ALSO WITH THE GCVWR OF 17000-6946=10054-432 FOR WATER AND PROPANE AND 750 FOR PASSENGERS,HITCH AND A FEW THINGS WOULD EQUAL 8872-1000 FOR GEAR AND FOOD= 7872. SHOULD 7872 BE THE MAX DRY WEIGHT OF THE 5TH WHEEL I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT? ALSO I KNOW THE WEIGHT OF WATER BUT DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT GAS WEIGHS OR A 30# PROPANE TAKE FILLED WEIGHS. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE EXPERT ADVICE.

Waterwolf,

Sounds reasonable.  Here's a set of numbers to bounch yours off of:

http://joelmyers.net/06_Qz/Weighed%20my%20truck%20today.htm

Oh, by the way - old eyes have a hard time reading all caps.  All lower case would be kinder and gentler.

Joel

Gasoline weighs anywhere from 5.8-6.5 lbs/gallon, depending on the grade of gas and temperature. 6.2 is a good all-around estimate.  Propane is even more variable, but in its liquid form it weighs about 4.5 lbs/gallon.  Your Lp tank has its "water capacity" [WC] stamped on the side somewhere and it can hold 80% of that number in liquid propane.  So 4.5 x 0.8 x WC yields the weight of the propane in the tank (don't forget to add the weight of the tank itself). A typical 30# tank holds 7.5 gallons of propane.

Your estimates of the weights are correct. However, the truck's GVWR is also limited by the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) of each axle and the pin weight falls largely on the rear axle.  You will want to learn your truck's rear axle GAWR as well.  It's probably not going to be a limiting factor, but it is best to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom