Do most travel trailers *not* come with onboard generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RushellR

I am searching for a used travel trailer (bumper pull), and with living in the interior of Alaska, that is proving to be a bit of a challenge to someone where money IS a factor.  I have so far found a few decent units within my price range, but none of them come with an on board generator.  I found a unit at a dealership that fit my needs but it also did not have a generator, the salesman told me that most travel trailers do not come with one, and most folks use an external generator.  Years ago I owned a Weekend Warrior toy hauler that had an on board and pushing a button to start the generator versus going outside and pull starting one was a luxury that I apparently had taken for granted.  Buying an external generator isn't completely out of the question, in fact, as I am writing this post I am selling myself more and more on the idea.  I am curious as to whether this salesman is telling me the truth?  Do travel trailers typically not come with an on board? Thanks for your help!

Generators (the built in variety) are common on motorhomes, uncommon on travel trailers.  Most of us with TT's use a portable generator.

RushellR said:
Years ago I owned a Weekend Warrior toy hauler that had an on board and pushing a button to start the generator versus going outside and pull starting one was a luxury that I apparently had taken for granted.

Businesses that provide trailers for the movie industry often mount generators on the tongues, but this must be carefully planned to avoid tongue weight and weight distribution problems, which are critical on ball trailers.

Various models in the Honda generator line can be started and stopped from within the trailer with wireless or wired remote kits (check the link below).  If you have room for the generator in the tow vehicle, I think that this is a much better solution.  Not only does it eliminate weight distribution problems, but also reduces the noise and vibration you hear and feel inside the trailer.

http://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/honda-wireless-remote-starter-kit?gclid=CjkKEQjw_N-cBRD2k73X3OjJ8eMBEiQAbdPic42l4gC5LxC4nYtDbATU0isHoLsvGOLXSB35BSHKHGnw_wcB

Motor homes have big fuel tanks and big propane tanks and thus have the fuel to power a 5,000 watt or larger generator.

Trailers have removable bottles, they can not provide liquid propane to a generator (normally) and do not have any other fuel on board (Normally).. In my travels I have seen exactly TWO trailers with built in generators, one was an after market add on and the other used a marine type gasoline tank (Removable) such as used with an outboard motor. IN fact, identical to an outboard motor fuel tank.

Thank you so much for all your answers!  It makes more sense now, and I didn't even think of the fuel supply issue.  I will continue my hunt and hopefully I find a good trailer up here!  Additionally, I will also start generator shopping!  Again, thank you! I am very grateful that you all shared your knowledge!

If he plans on living in the interior of Alaska, he probably does need a generator.

Do you really need a generator?

They're moving from Alaska to North Carolina and will be seeing the sights in between so they'll probably want a generator to power a microwave as well as air conditioning.

ArdraF

We have never owned a Motor Home. We have owned 5 RV's including 4- 5th Wheel Trailers. The last three came equiped new for, wired for, but not including a built-in generator. We did not order a built-in generator with any of our RV's, including our Monty 3750FL that we own now, although it was available and the Monty has a special Generator compartment built in. We use the built-in Generator compartment for extra storeage.

I have always believed that since we pull our RV's with our truck, it is most efficient, most cost effective and much simpler to have the generator on the truck. We use our generators, on the truck, with other things besides the RV power on our ranches also.

With our Monty, since the Marine type cable socket is on the rear for shore power, I just permanently installed a cable from the rear to the front of the Monty, through the Undercarraige, so that with the generators in the truck all I have to do is start the generators, still in the truck, plug the parallel generator socket into the cable at the front of the trailer, and we have power. We don't even have to unhook the truck or run a cable for power. With the truck unhitched from the trailer the Yamahas are just set on the groundf under the trailer, with the cable connected, if we need to move the truck without the trailer. I connect the generators to the trailer with a locking cable when the truck is not there.

When in an RV Park the Shore power plugs into the same cable socket as the generators so everything works the same.

To shut off power to go I just turn off the generators, unplug the cable, and we are ready to go. No moving cables, generators, etc.

For years I owned a 4000 Watt generator on the truck that was used with RV's with a cable as described above. Our last generator finally gave up after about 12 years use. I replaced it a year ago with two Yamaha generators, with the parallel connection kit. We like this set up much better than the single 4000 Watt Generators that we previously owned.

Our experience suggests that you might be most happy with a pair of Honda, Yamaha, etc., generators that can be used individually or in parallel as needed. They are small and light enough, quiet, to place and remove them from the truck or RV any time. They provide all the power needed by the RV and are economical besides being designed for the job. Our Yamaha's also come with a three year complete warranty that I am happy with.

Had the new, twin, generators been available the last time I bought the larger 4000 Watt generator, I would not have bought the larger single one. The two Yamahas are much better.

Rancher? You said quote;The two Yamahas are much better.

why are two yamahas better.whats better about them and why
Thanks

The two Yamahas are much better than the two larger single generators that I owned before I replaced them over the last 40 some years. The last Single 4000 Watt generator was replaced  by the two, 2000 Watt each Yamahas.

The large single generators weighed well over 100 pounds made more noise, when running (although they were rated as quiet for RV use), were always kept loaded in our truck since they were unhandy to  often remove and reload load when needed. We have always use a generator loaded in the truck rather than in the RV compartment of each of our RVs since the truck mounted generator is handy for use for other uses on our ranch in addition to the RV.

I learned that with two generators, such as the 2000 Watt Yamahas, (Hondas etc., Hondas, etc), I often do not need 4000 watts for some uses such a tools, etc. I often use jus tone Yamaha when 4000 watts is not needed.  But, when needed for AC, Microwaves, etc., the Parallel kit is always on hand to provide all the power that the large generator provided. In fact the the 4000 watt larger generators actually only provided about 3600 watts in running mode.

The two Yamahas (and others such as Honda, etc.) each weigh only a few pounds so are easy to remove or place in the truck with only one hand as needed. Each weighs only about the weight of a small filled gas can. I keep the Yamahas stored in our Ranch shop all of time when not needed in the truck for an RV trip or other use.

The large old generators each requied a battery to start, so the battery had to be continually charged when not in use for some time. Over time the batteries had to be replaced when needed. The Yamahas do not require a battery to start and even my wife easily starts each one if needed.

In short the new twin pair are much handier, easier to use for multiple uses, more economical for fuel, and the space formerly take up in the truck by the old generators is now avaialble for other things.

Back
Top Bottom