Does anyone lease or rent out your RV when you are not using it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ISO_AAA

I'm looking for people's experience with this. I know this is probably not something many of you would consider with your "personal" RV. I asking from a business perspective. I am looking for my next business venture. As I learn the RV world I am interested in this option and possible having a small fleet down the road. I have a fabulous mobile repair service and have picked the owners brain about this too.

I recently sold off my rental property. I owned it for 15 years and ran the HOA for 10 years. I'm well versed in dealing with lenders, insurance, maintenance and unfortunately idiots. I mainly sold it so I would no longer have to deal with the other investors who owned in the complex- bad decision making idiots. Single family properties are high maintenance and low return unless you are fortunate enough to own many and have property managers doing all your work. I sold it wholesale to a friend and ran!

It's just a thought at this point so any input is appreciated!!

It seems that you're familiar with most of the issues. Personally, we wouldn't rent out our RV but, if we did, we'd be sure that we had appropriate insurance.

We would not.  Too many things can go wrong besides this is OURs to baby and use whenever.  Also too many liabilities.  We seem to get this question about every six months or so and the general consensus seems to be No Way.  (Use Search button above to see what others have said.)

ArdraF

Yes you have to have the appropriate insurance and the wise thing to do is use a booking company who takes care of everything and ensures the renter has the appropriate insurance as well. The fee is 10-15% through most companies, which is industry standard. Property managers charge the same for single family.

The few people I've talked to who do this have their personal RV, or "baby" in addition to their rental units. Its a business, which is what I am interested in. My goal is to build another income stream in addition to my full time gig. I was hoping to find some more people who do it to talk to.

I agree with BoomerD, but if you are serious, this web site does this, and may be able to help.

https://rvshare.com/rv-rental

DITTO  BOOMERD IN SPADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially if I want to keep my happy home and not be forced to live in the RV and still pay for my house.

I did once.  Came back with empty lp tank. Dog damage pee and poop on carpet and screen door riped to shreds.  And missing cooking where.  And they chain smoked in it.  Disbight promise me they would not bring their pets or going to smoke it........ Their was a huge fight when I kept $200 deposit.... and then Believe It or Not A year later I got an email asking if they could rent it again stead of saying no I told him sure thousand-dollar cash deposit needless to say I never heard back...... they were friends of relatives highly recommended

I think RVers who join forums like this (especially the regular contributors) are, for the most part, far less likely to rent their RVs out than those who simply "have an RV." Forum members are always tinkering with their RVs, they usually baby them and they want everything just so. I also think that those who have RVs but who rarely use them usually don't join forums. They're not "into RVing" like many forum members are, and they're not as attached to their RVs as many forum members are to theirs, so the money incentive might outweigh the the concern of something getting damaged or just used. To me it doesn't.

I think there are a lot of folks who'd be willing to rent, but of course the problem is, how do you reach out to them in large numbers if they're not on a forum. Maybe print up flyers and spend a few afternoons driving around and dropping them off on the type of RVs you'd like to rent??? You'd certainly want a website. You figure those things out and it might work. Good luck.

Kev

I happen to be a "little" familiar with what you have in mind and I can assure you that it is not for the faint of heart.  One of the biggest determining factors is going to "your" location.  If you live out in the sunflower fields of central Kansas then I'd say you aren't too likely to have much success.  If on the other hand you live in or near a resort area or a concert venue then it might be a different story.

There are actually a lot of people out there to bought their RV and hardly ever use it but the bank still holds out their hand every month.  Those people are more inclined to consign their RV for this purpose.  My son-in-law and daughter have a 30' Cedar Creek Travel Trailer that they do just this with although it's paid for.  They also both work in the RV business so the rental company is very familiar to them.  During the winter months their RV is out most of the time and it does make money but keep a couple of things in mind.  They paid $10k for it at an auction so their investment is low.  The resale value of this unit by the time it's beyond repair is going to be $0.00 for the most part.  They can use their RV anytime they want but they have to reserve it just like anybody else.  Normally the rental company would charge them the same rate as a customer or at least charge them for the lost revenue that the rental company would incur but since they both are in the business the rental company waives all fees for them, this is not normal.  If they used it more than a couple of times per year I think things might be different.  The whole RV rental idea sounds intriguing but believe me it's a LOT of work and it can dollar you to death if you're not careful.

Find a reputable rental outfit in your area and talk turkey with them.  Read the contract very carefully and make sure you understand what you're getting into from the start.  You might find that these rental companies welcome consignments simply because they don't have to shell out any capital to get more equipment.

Good luck...

Just shopping for my first RV, and brand new to this forum, but I'm putting on my flame resistant underwear and wading in here with a different perspective than most here seem to have.  Although I don't have land yacht experience, I do have 30 years experience working with real yachts as a captain (licensed Master).  Basically there's two differences: one floats and the other doesn't, and the water kind of yachts can cost a whole lot more.

In the yachting world most owners feel the same as expressed here by many.  They don't want strangers sleeping in their beds.  The ironic things about it are that 1) They take a lot of vacation time, mostly staying in hotels where different people are sleeping on those beds 365 days a year.  2) I move these boats all over, sometimes taking them on 3 week runs down the coast.  The owners seldom make the trip, because they're busy making the money to afford their toys or the transports are just too grueling for them.  Where do you think my crew and I sleep?  And before anyone says that the owners know me, in 30 years only two have asked to see my license and that was because their insurance companies wanted it, and the owners have no idea who I bring on as crew.

Now I completely understand the reasoning (some logical and some emotional) for not wanting strangers to live in your home whether it's on land, water or wheels.  So I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should rent theirs, but many do.  Easily 10% of smaller yachts rent out, and probably 90% of the larger ones do.  I'm talking floating homes that cost tens of millions of dollars.  Some rent out for easily $100,000 a week.  All you need do is look at any celebrity magazine and you'll see the stars out on chartered yachts.  Smaller yachts, in the 25'-45' range often rent out "bareboat", meaning without a crew.  (45' yachts often cost well over $1M)

As for RV rentals, just search the web and you'll find dozens of companies and an infinite number of individuals renting their motorhomes.  The RV I plan to buy will only set me back about $20K.  I expect to use it about 2 weeks and maybe a few weekends a year until my wife retires.  That's not getting much for $20K.  It's also not enough use to keep the motor lubricated, the gas fresh and the MH maintained.  So why not "charter" it?  I'm checking into a rider for my policy that the renter will pay for, and I'll be holding a deposit equal to the deductible.  They will also be charged a cleaning and refueling charge.  If they smoke I'll charge them $100 and buy a can of air freshener just like the hotels do.

My motorhome will also be for sale from the day I buy it.  I don't expect it to sell, because I'll be asking a price that will net me a profit, but to me it's just a thing that can give me some good times and make me a side income in my retirement.  And if someone wants to make me a profit I'll sell it and buy something nicer with the extra money.  My guess is that it'll rent out maybe 12 days a year up here in the NE.  I'd expect net to be about $200 a day from what I see.  That'll cover my use and depreciation.  Basically it's buying an RV using other people's money.

So again, renting out your motorhome is definitely NOT for everyone.  Not even for most.  But there's a definite market, and it's a way for people who can't really afford these types of luxuries to get to enjoy them.  It also affords visitors to your area (many with their own RVs back home) to enjoy an RV vacation without having to drive all the way across the country. So I say the OP should explore it, and I hope he'll keep in touch to let me and others who might be thinking of this know the good, bad and ugly of his experiences.  Good luck.

BTW, being new to this I'm scanning the web for knowledge, and learning from those with experience.  This looks like a good place to get an education.  DK how much I'll have to contribute (being a Newbee), but I expect to be lurking and learning.  So thanks in advance.  And don't hesitate to flame me (but of course keep it civil).  I learn as much or more from criticism as I do from pats on the back, and my skin is old and thick.  8)

NYCAP said:
So again, renting out your motorhome is definitely NOT for everyone.  Not even for most.
I would say that about renting just about anything. I now have three houses and 13 motor vehicles and I would not consider renting out anything. I have heard way too many horror stories and I would rather not bother with any of that. Seems the worse problems are when people rent to  what were once good close friends.

Selling something I could l consider.    Renting, no way!

-Don-  Reno, NV

I have rented out my house in Ireland for the last 9 years. 
I would of much rather sold it but the market was in the tank (and still is). It's an absolute pain in the backside dealing with it, even though we have a letting agent. But the flip side is at least we have a property for when we move back.

Not sure if I would rent out my rig as we use it every second weekend and plan to take 2 or 3 week long trips next year. Maybe if I was buying another one in 4 or 5 years I would consider renting out my old one full time through an agency.

I would not rent out my RV to my mother even if she put a $10,000 deposit down. I would not lend out records from my record collection so renting out my RV is way out of the question.

My wife and I moved up and down the East Coast in an earlier life when I played Road Warrior doing electrical shutdowns/upgrades. We rented most of the time, as we generally wouldn't be in that area long enough to buy. We take very good care of our house, and we took even better care of our places we rented. Everyone we rented from always gave us a good recommendation and said if we ever needed to rent in that area again, to give them a call. That said, a LOT of the people we moved in behind were just plain slobs. Seeing what we have seen, we would never rent out anything we owned either. An RV would make it even worse. There are people that have very expensive RV's that they paid good money for and don't have a clue as to how to use them and care for them correctly, and unfortunately, don't care. Why would one trust their RV to some yahoo that would be even worse? RV's can have a lot of hidden damage that can get discovered way too late to be able to do anything about it as far as going after the renter to get them to pay.
Like Tom, when I had vinyl, Don't even think about taking them out of the jacket!

Lots of people rent out their homes (e.g., VRBO.com) which are a heck of a lot more valuable than most RVs. I wouldn't do either the home or RV but I guess a lot of folks do.

I am also in the "no way" crowd, but that being said, there is a business that moved in about 4 miles from my stick house in So. Ca.  It used to be a material yard that closed, but now a RV Rental business opened.  I was skeptial at first, thinking that it was doomed for failure. But as I drove by regularly, I saw more and more RV's populating the lot. All types, Class A, C, even B's and a few towables.  Then in about March and into early April, many of them started to be missing.  Now I don't know if the owners pulled them out, or they just rented them, but the last I knew they were still in business, so it is possible.

I just don't understand renting out RVs when so many people don't know how to operate them. You wouldn't rent a live-aboard boat to someone who has never operated a boat. Why would you rent an RV to someone who has never operated one before. CruiseAmerica manages by having consistent and minimal units plus providing training on the systems. In addition they check them out upon return. Can't you just imagine the poo pyramids left by inexperienced users? I couldn't even begin to think about the number of systems on a Class A that would require instruction. Who will make sure the renters even understand the height restrictions?

Years ago we let a friend rent our pop up for a week. Everything went great, but it was mostly just showing the, how to put up the canvas. They practiced it before they left too. A Class A is an entirely different animal.

Back
Top Bottom