Does anyone remember TENTS??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still like to camp.
  (to me, camping is a tent.  what I do in the RV aint camping)
I don't get out as much as I'd like since my son quit Boy Scouts though.  A few years ago I decided to slowly gear up to get back into doing some backpacking (as opposed to tailgate camping).  I never really did it much and what I did do was a long time ago.  Last year I finished out my new kit by spending what I consider to be way too much money on a really light weight tent and backpack. (I figured I've worked hard and now make enough money so why make these older bones carry more weight than I have to?... even though I'm still embarrassed to say how much I spent on a relatively low use item.)
  My plan was to get up and do a section of the AT or maybe another trail.  Sadly, life got in the way and it didn't happen this summer.  Oh well, looking forward to doing a little something here locally when it cools off a bit more.

blw2 said:

A sentiment I often express as well. 

At one campground I overhead a couple grumbling about their accommodations. They were driving a huge, late model DP with TOAD and their issue was they did not have FULL hookups for their "camping".  Oh well-- definitions and criteria evolve over time I guess...  ;D

blw2 said:
I still like to camp.
I don't get out as much as I'd like since my son quit Boy Scouts though.  A few years ago I decided to slowly gear up to get back into doing some backpacking (as opposed to tailgate camping).  I never really did it much and what I did do was a long time ago.  Last year I finished out my new kit by spending what I consider to be way too much money on a really light weight tent and backpack. (I figured I've worked hard and now make enough money so why make these older bones carry more weight than I have to?... even though I'm still embarrassed to say how much I spent on a relatively low use item.)
  My plan was to get up and do a section of the AT or maybe another trail.  Sadly, life got in the way and it didn't happen this summer.  Oh well, looking forward to doing a little something here locally when it cools off a bit more.

Backpacking gear used to be cheap, but the yuppy crowd changed that. I average about 35 pounds for a week backpacking trip. Food, clothing, water and all gear. I used to weight everything with an old postal scale. The best plate I found was a 9" aluminum pie tin. Light, flexible, easily reshaped, works just as well as a bowl. I took the Scouts on a 50 miler on a part of the AT. Last trip I took the Scouts on was 50 miles in the Michigan UP, Porcupine Mountains. We swam in Lake Superior every night. It was cold, but extremely refreshing. I would push the kids to complete 12-14 miles per day for the first 3 days. Made the last two days really short hikes with more fun filled activities. Gave them all afternoon to explore, relax, build friendships, relish in their accomplishment, build pride in themselves, etc. I have about another 5 years before the grandkids will be backpacking, they don't know it yet... taking two of them camping this weekend. Well, RV camping... lol 

Hanr3 said:
Backpacking gear used to be cheap, but the yuppy crowd changed that.

When I walked into LL Bean and saw that they added a coffee bar, I knew the handwriting was on the wall.

I actually took a tent with me on the Rubicon Trail in July.  However, I ended up sleeping under the stars for two nites and never used it. :)

We used to take a box of wine. Once the refreshments were drank, the bag inside made a good blow up pillow. Between the booze and the pillow, a good nights sleep was usually had.

muskoka guy said:
We used to take a box of wine. Once the refreshments were drank, the bag inside made a good blow up pillow. Between the booze and the pillow, a good nights sleep was usually had.

A box of wine equals four bottles. If you are using the bag as a pillow I would posit not many companions are accompanying you. The pillow will not be necessary.

Oldgator73 said:
A box of wine equals four bottles. If you are using the bag as a pillow I would posit not many companions are accompanying you. The pillow will not be necessary.
LOL I never drink alone, so needless to say I had help. I dont think the boxes we had were four bottles. The pillow wasnt that big.

Back
Top Bottom