Does length matter? (Get your mind out of the gutter.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rancidamoeba

I'm a solo female traveler that has caught the RV bug. I'd really like to get a Class B. That said, I'm terrified of the idea of driving it -- I've driven small hatchbacks all my life. The few times I've driven a large-ish SUV, I was very nervous. I know that practice makes one more comfortable but I still have to get through those early days. And as a solo traveler, whatever I get myself into, I have to get myself out of. While looking at RVs, I've been focusing on the 18/19 footers, but those 24 footers look really appealing. So my question is is a 24 footer as easy to drive as an 18 footer? Are there other appealing reasons to choose a shorter rig? I plan on doing a mix of boondocking and camp camping and I would prefer to not be limited in my destinations. (I'm used to going where a hatchback and a tent will take me.) Thanks!

Don't let your fear of a larger coach keep you from buying the right tool for the job, those smaller class B's are very limited in a lot of ways, not only is there not much space in them, but they tend to have limited cargo carrying capacity and smaller tanks for both fresh / waste water as well as propane for the furnace and cooking. So sure those smaller class B's might go places larger coaches do not fit, they will not let you stay there for as long once you get to where you are going.

You will adjust to driving a bigger vehicle.

I just saw a middle aged blonde lady drive her 35 footer with a toad into a Flying J like an expert.

You will learn to avoid "tight" situations, avoiding the need for u-turns and smaller sub-divisions.

You got this...

You will learn. I am a 66 year old woman who has driven a 40’ motorhome with a SUV toad for well north of 30,000 miles. Were there a few nerve rattling incidents early on? Yup, just like when I first started driving my ancient Ford Mercury at 15. But I learned how to drive that, and you can learn how to drive a bigger van. It just takes hours behind the wheel - no real shortcuts.

Short answer is that up to around 20 ft there is little apparent difference. Some modest difference in the 20-25 ft range, but it's still just a van. Backing up a longer vehicle with limited rear vision takes some practice, but going forward and turning is pretty much the same at any reasonable length. There is just a bit more "lag" in the turns. The front end turns but the back just pivots, so you have to swing a bit wider to get the whole thing around the corner.

I suggest you rent a 30 foot class C and take it for a weekend trip somewhere at least 50 miles away. Then go check out a 24 foot class B and see what wins. You will be shocked at how easy the RV is to drive and how small a class B really is.

Interesting thing.. I went from towing a 13' Scamp with a Chevy Lumina APV to towing the chevy with a 38' Motor home. . took me a day or two to get used to it. not long at all. but I'm highley adaptable.

Well a truck decided to tear it up a bit just as i was getting into bed (Parked of course) so the insurance said TOTALED (!@)#$!@$) Not really that upset as it was time for me to move to an apartment... I upgraded my 2001 Neon to a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. Now understand I drove a motor home for over 15 years.
THAT JEEP FEELS BIG.
It also gets way better MPG than the neon.
Neon 20-25 based on miles and gallons
Jeep. (on board computer) 75MPH aroudn 23-25 65 MPH 30-33 55MPH 38-39 I am not the fastest ride on the road !

So does size matter
You need on big enough to ne comfortable
But at 38' there were a few campsites I did not fit in and at least one campground that "Now way" applied.. It was "Tight" with just the Lumina. No motor home.

We just picked up our TT and I was kinda looking at it compared to my sons 16' enclosed landscape trailer. One thing that I noticed is that the TT has more length behind the axles and the distance from the hitch to the axle is somewhat comparable.

My point, and I could be wrong, is that the wheel base on those two different sizes may not be as significant as the overall length difference. Yes, your tail end does swing out and you need to be cognizant of that as you are manuvering... but it isn't like you are upgrading to a full size tractor trailer with a pivot point. As you are turning and aware of your where your rear is going, your turns may not be all that much different in the bigger unit.

Hope that makes sense, it does in my head as I read it again :)

You will adjust to driving a bigger vehicle.

I just saw a middle aged blonde lady drive her 35 footer with a toad into a Flying J like an expert...
So what you're saying is that "If Blondes can do it so can you?" LOL, j/k.
To the OP, if you have a friend that has a class B or C then ask if you can test drive it in an empty lot/field. Best of luck on your quest.

I strongly suspect she was a bottle blonde - everyone knows brunettes are better drivers...

Now I will go sit in the corner and give myself a timeout...

My 22R class c has every thing my wife and I need. (Nice shower).

Its really just a pick up. The B class units are small.

After ten years of full timing I parked my RV and bought a rice burner. I hate driving it and I really hate backing up. I much prefer driving a huge RV they have huge rear view mirrors and backing them up is a piece of cake.

May I suggest starting by going to UHaul and renting a 20 ft truck for a day or two, (Cheaper that renting an RV) and drive it around a bit. You'll get the feel for the extra width, and how to use the mirrors.

The important thing is to learn to track where your rear tires are going when you turn. You will basically be pivoting on the rear axle.

A 24' Class C is about the same width and length as a full size dually pickup. So it will fit just about anywhere and turn corners without a problem. I have a 30' and even with the long overhang it has to go over the center line or the right rear wheels take the curb or ditch when turning right on a two lane road. If there is traffic the longer length is a real PITA. I would prefer a 26' or less but my boss (wife) says no.

A 24' Class C is about the same width and length as a full size dually pickup. So it will fit just about anywhere and turn corners without a problem. I have a 30' and even with the long overhang it has to go over the center line or the right rear wheels take the curb or ditch when turning right on a two lane road. If there is traffic the longer length is a real PITA. I would prefer a 26' or less but my boss (wife) says no.

My gut has always felt that 26 is the max I would like to drive in a class C. After that the overhang starts to look real weird...

I also think a 26 C compares favorably with a 30 foot A. The overhead bunk above the drivers seat is really useful.

Yeah, a 24 ft is probably a good length, especially for the OP, who says that they have only driven relatively small vehicles all their life.
That will be enough to adjust to in one change. To add another 6 feet could be quite intimidating. The view in the mirror for that 30 feet behind you can be a bit scarce of detail, when you're trying to back into a tight spot.

My 1st RV was a 30' class C. One trip was all it took to get used to driving it. I could be happy with a shorter one if it had dual slides in the living area. Mine had only a slide on the driver side and many times I wished for the add'l space a passenger side slide in the living area would've provided. One slide in the bedroom was OK. good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom