Doghouse Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

detectivedrew

I have a 1984 Chieftain. The doghouse is a pain to lift. I usually have to do it myself. Anyone have any tricks to lift the engine cover?

My rig is a '96 Adventurer. Would imagine there is no easy way to get that puppy off and back out of the way. For my CA smog checks I find that some test stations charge extra if they have to remove it - whereas other do not. Mine is latched on the rear side and requires a 5/8" allen to undo. One mechanic that did work on my engine gave me a nice longer one than most that makes it easier to unhook.

If I have to do it my self, I unhook it - then slide it back vs. trying to pick it up. Then slide it back when I replace it.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the ideas. I may make a little pulley system (attach it to the bed above the front seats), anchor 4 small permanent eyebolts to the house and voila- I can lift it right up and out of the way. I will post some pics if I perform this winter project.

Drew

Regarding lifting the doghouse. If yours is like the newer ones you will have to slide it back some before it can be lifted. There are a couple of flat metal pieces on the front that slide under the metal floor.

I have removed mine several times and it isn't that heavy - maybe 25 or 30 pounds.

The cover is an older design. I would estimate it at 50 pounds, bulky and at an odd angle for my back (I have1 bulging disc and 2 slipped discs).  I am strong and have wrestled 250lb guys to the ground. My back is now vulnerable to injury.

Drew

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom