Dolly towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sportscoach bob

Has anybody dolly towed your jeep? I have a 2020 jeep Rubicon and just purchased a dolly tow. Was told no problem transfer case in neutral jeep in park and away you go now I’m reading different things. I put it on the dolly drove around for about 10 miles no issues I’m getting ready to do a 400 mile trip,like to hear from somebody who has towed their jeep on a dolly before. And any issues they had-thank you very much.

Here's what Jeep has to say about it.

View attachment 151311

Click below to go to Mopar owner's manual site -

Jeep Wrangler Owner's Manual
Thank you. I saw that but I was also told they put that in there to cover all the different kinds of jeep models. One printing instead of 25. My question is if the transfer case in neutral The front driveshaft doesn’t spin.And what would be the difference if you’re driving down the road in 2 Wheel Dr. instead of four-wheel-drive how does the jeep know the two wheels are off the ground. Not trying to be a smart ass just can’t understand what difference it would make.

4wd Jeeps can not be dolly towed. I know of no 4wd or Awd that can be dolly towed.
Dolly towing the drive wheels need to be off the ground (normally there are a few exceptions)

Some Jeeps van bet towed 4WD.. However not all can be towed that way
Full Trailer towing (NO wheels on ground, All jeeps can bet towed.

For the record. Mine can only bet trailer towed.

That post was from the Jeep Wrangler owners manual so I presume it applies to all wranglers.

My only educated guess is this - If you set up a dolly tow like a flat tow you would think that it would be the same, except for one thing. The forward drive shaft would not be spinning.

I don't know what kind of seal is on the transfer case but there could be what's called a "wind back" seal. This type of seal is somewhat spiral and any oil trying to escape would be wound back into the case sump. It's a weak theory but It's all I can come up with.

The only other thing I can think of is the angle of the gearboxes matters for some reason.

I can't personally see any other difference in flat tow vs. front wheel dolly tow.

Not that it helps but my kids Blaze and my 2012 Jeep Liberty allow dolly tow but only at a speed of less than 20 mph. I had to tow my kids Blazer once about 20 miles and TBH I pushed the speed up to 20-35 for a good part of it and nothing seemed worse for wear.

Thank you. I saw that but I was also told they put that in there to cover all the different kinds of jeep models. One printing instead of 25. My question is if the transfer case in neutral The front driveshaft doesn’t spin.And what would be the difference if you’re driving down the road in 2 Wheel Dr. instead of four-wheel-drive how does the jeep know the two wheels are off the ground. Not trying to be a smart ass just can’t understand what difference it would make.
You'd better look again. Your front drive shaft absolutely turns when you're in 2wd. It's turned by the front wheels, instead of powered through the transfer case, but it does turn. That's why you can't dolly tow. Transfer case doesn't like one set turning and one set not. You could dolly tow the Jeep, but you'd have to disconnect one of the driveshafts.
I've dolly towed cars and I've flat towed 2 different Wranglers probably 30,000 miles. It's way easier to flat tow than it is to fool with the dolly.

I saw that but I was also told they put that in there to cover all the different kinds of jeep models. One printing instead of 25.
I think you are right about that, but it's also a warning that you need to get down to a specific model and its owner manual instructions if you actually plan to do it. Some models absolutely cannot be dolly-towed, while others might be a "maybe". So the first & most important question is what does your 2020 Rubicon owner manual say about "Recreational Towing" with the tranny/transfer-case you have?

That's why you can't dolly tow. Transfer case doesn't like one set turning and one set not. You could dolly tow the Jeep, but you'd have to disconnect one of the driveshafts.
I don't doubt that you are on to something but I'd like to know "why" a transfer case doesn't like only one shaft turning.

I mean it's just a gear box and simply put there is simply a meshing gear to connect the front shaft in when 4WD is selected.

Unless, like my ex-Suzuki Grand Vitara. It came with manual and electronic cases. You could tow the manual but not the electronic. I am not smart enough about the cases to advise positively in any way.

I do know that the link I posted above goes exactly to the Jeep Wrangler owner's manual and there was no sub-selection for a Rubicon.

If it were simply put, I'd say don't do it. I personally like dolly towing because as a "car guy" I tow different vehicles at least 2 times a year. I finally bought a dolly a little while ago.

If I had a Wrangler as a TOAD I would definitely invest in the kit and flat tow it. For my MG and bike I like a flatbed trailer tow.

One difference in dolly vs driving with transfer disengaged is that the front drive shaft is spinning while driving (the disconnect is inside the transfer case) but not spinning if the front wheels are on a dolly. The effect of that (if any) might be less lubrication or maybe something else???

Gary is correct as to the operation. The front and rear driveshafts are tied together in the t/case with a chain. I believe that when you hold one shaft the rotary motion is transferred from the main bearings to the planetary bearings which are much smaller and not designed to take that load.
It's enough for me that the owners manual says not to dolly tow it.

I don't doubt that you are on to something but I'd like to know "why" a transfer case doesn't like only one shaft turning.

I mean it's just a gear box and simply put there is simply a meshing gear to connect the front shaft in when 4WD is selected.
The biggest issue is the fact that the input and output shafts of the transfer case are mechanically connected together, unlike axle shafts that are connected through a differential. If the rear shaft on the TC is spinning with the rear wheels, then the front shaft MUST spin along with the rear shaft because they are physically connected together.

It has to do with how the gears are lubricated. Some transfer cases can get adequate splash lubrication with just the output shaft turning, others need the transmission input shaft also rotating to throw enough oil around. My Bronco II had no restrictions on flat towing, my Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Vitara) says to start the engine every 200 miles and let it run for a couple of minutes with the transmission in drive and the transfer case in neutral to lubricate the transfer case. Toyota says not to tow their automatic transmission vehicles with the wheels on the ground, even if there's a neutral position in the transfer case. Stopping every 200 miles to start the engine on my Tracker isn't a big deal as I'm ready for fuel or a rest stop by then.

As far as only having the rear shaft rotate while the front shaft doesn't, that happens every time you put the vehicle in 2 wheel drive with the front hubs unlocked.

It has to do with how the gears are lubricated. Some transfer cases can get adequate splash lubrication with just the output shaft turning, others need the transmission input shaft also rotating to throw enough oil around. My Bronco II had no restrictions on flat towing, my Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Vitara) says to start the engine every 200 miles and let it run for a couple of minutes with the transmission in drive and the transfer case in neutral to lubricate the transfer case. Toyota says not to tow their automatic transmission vehicles with the wheels on the ground, even if there's a neutral position in the transfer case. Stopping every 200 miles to start the engine on my Tracker isn't a big deal as I'm ready for fuel or a rest stop by then.

As far as only having the rear shaft rotate while the front shaft doesn't, that happens every time you put the vehicle in 2 wheel drive with the front hubs unlocked.
The Wrangler hasn't had locking hubs since the 80's. They use a vacuum disconnect internal to the axle. Front driveshaft turns all the time, even in 2wd.

Back
Top Bottom